It takes a thief

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by John Madia, Feb 24, 2005.

1. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

Has anyone else seen this show? It's on 10pm on the Discovery channel right after Mythbusters. Here's the basic outline:

Two ex thieves case a neighborhood for an easy house to break in.

They meet the homeowners and get them to agree to let them break in to their house to show how lax their security is.

Homeowners then watch as their house is broken into and the thief gets away with thousands of dollars of goods in less than 10 minutes.

They show the loot and give it back.

The next day they install the security measures.

The theives come back unannounced in ~two weeks and try to break in again.

It's worth watching just to see how easily someone can get into your house if you're unprotected. The scariest thing is that it happens in under 10 minutes and not only is your stuff gone but so is your identity. Every episode so far people just had stuff like checkbooks, credit cards, passports (!), etc. just lying around.

The show actually has a good sense of humor too. The guy doing the breaking in seems to enjoy himself so it's entertaining to watch. Check it out if you have the time and also Mythbusters which is a lot of fun too.

2. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

Sounds interesting, I'll Tivo it this weekend.

3. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

I caught one episode and it was pretty interesting. But I didn't quite understand why the guy beaking in ransacked the house. In the epiode i saw he broke a few items. I think they could make their point without breaking stuff. And the episode I saw, when the theif came back, he had trouble getting in the house but then he went to the front door and it was unlocked.

4. John Madia

John Madia Second Unit

I think that was the first show (with the three bachelors living together). Pretty funny since the homeowner had everything else locked but didn't bother to lock the front door. You'd think he would have learned.

5. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

I understand that but it seems like they could try to be a little more careful since the people are allowing them to do this. I was thinking more about the painting of JFK in that episode. The guy broke the frame which can be replaced but what if he had actually damaged the painting?

6. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

I believe they discussed this in the show.

Basically (IIRC) they said if they didn't go through the house like a real burgler would then the impact wouldn't be the same to the family. Of course, this would lead to them (the family) not taking the whole thing as serious as they should.

Todd B

7. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

This show is so plodding it could be condensed into a half hour program and not lose anything. [​IMG] Boring.