It seems that TV DVD sets are over taking movie DVDs in sales.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Tom_mkfty, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty Stunt Coordinator

The TV shelves in some local store have gotten bigger lately.

With TV DVD sets, there is more to watch.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

OK? They also take up more room...

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Not to be a jerk but a few TV show sets have sold a million copies while lots of movies sell a million copies in less than a week (or even a day).

4. Kyle McKnight

I think he's just going by the fact that some stores are expanding their TV sections. By no means are TV sets outselling movies as a whole.

5. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I am part of the minority who prefers TV-DVD's to movies by far. I have a good 3 times the number of seasons on DVD than I do movies, and by no means do I have a large DVD collection, but I'd be much more excited about a season of Seinfeld coming to DVD than a movie that I might watch once or twice

6. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

When the TV show is good enough, I prefer it by far over many movies. With a movie, you have to let go of the characters after two hours. In TV, you get to watch characters you love continue on. Also, I can watch 2 episodes of a sitcom on my lunch break with my co-workers or we can watch half a movie. Which choice do you think always win out?

Anyway, I buy and love both TV shows on DVD and films, but I get addicted to shows like Scrubs, Twilight Zone, Freaks & Geeks, and The West Wing like you wouldn't believe.

AS FOR THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD:
    Yes, stores are expanding shelf space as more TV shows are being released on DVD. They take up more room than movies do. As far as sales go, I can tell you it's not even close. Movies win out in sales by a million miles. A lot of it has to do with cost and a lot of people are still hesitant to buy a TV show that can be seen in reruns. They don't mind syndication cuts, commercial breaks, logo bugs, and unordered episodes I guess!

7. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Count me in.

For some reason, I am just more into tv on dvd sets then I am in movies.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Don't know if this quite fits in...but my local Best Buy (Albany, NY) has just completely re-organized its DVD section to prominently feature TV on DVD. They moved it closest to the new release aisle...shoving movies more to the back of the store.

One unusual thing, though... They organized the TV on DVD section alphabetically....except that they grouped all the FOx DVDs separately. For example, I went looking to see what their prices on seasons sets of 24 were...and they were NOT at the beginning of the TV on DVD section. Instead, they were at the beginning of the Fox TV on DVD section. A stupid distinction. [​IMG]

9. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Yeah, they do that for a few others like HBO too. What really bugs me about is that some of it isn't obvious- I wouldn't have guessed that Buffy and Angel, neither of which aired on Fox, were produced by 20th Century Fox and is where they are grouped in the store.

10. kevin jb

kevin jb Auditioning

im more of a tv dvd person than a movie dvd person.

11. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I definitely prefer TV on DVD to movies--like Dane said, I prefer to watch something short over something long. It's just a lot easier to do.

So far, in 2005, I've purchased 16 TV shows on DVD, most of them released this year. I've only bought two movies, and one of them was Forrest Gump from 2001, which I'd plan to buy for a while now and finally got around to it since it was only $7.50 at Circuit City last week.

12. Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty Stunt Coordinator

I should have wrote, "It seems that TV DVD sets are to over take movie DVDs in sales."

Last January, movies were ahead. By the end of September TV show sets will be ahead.

13. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I'm pretty confident in saying this will likely never be the case. Anyone care to present some sales numbers?

14. Kyle McKnight

I agree Dane. Tom, what makes you feel that way?

15. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    In scanning various sales reports like the weekly "Billboard" charts it is very clear that movies are dominant sales wise and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. It's not even close.

However, having said that, it is also true that one of the fastest growing segments of DVD sales as a whole are TV shows. I don't have specific figures at hand, but I've read that in various publications. Still even with this growth, TV is only a fraction of the total DVD market.

Steve

16. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

This is funny, just the other day I realized that the past few times Ive gone dvd shopping, Ive been picking up tv on dvd season sets. Last week I bought Scrubs, Da Ali G Show, and Reno 911, thats when I realized, There haven't been too many movies that have come out recently that I wanted to own. Its quite a change. I used to say I would never buy them. Funny how a few good shows can change all that. Now I own a handful. TV on dvd can produce numerous hours of entertainment. I bought Scrubs season 1 because I never had a chance to see it. So, aside from being a good show to me, its got a good cost/entertainment ratio. I probably would buy a lot more tv on dvd sets, HBO shows specifically, however, I don't like the way they price their sets, so I just don't buy them, I borrow them from friends.

17. Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu Stunt Coordinator

This is an interesting thread. Looking at my DVD master list, my collection is 46% TVonDVD and Movies are still in a slight lead with 54%.

I'm sure the only reason that my movies outrank TV is because of the $5.50 bin at WalMart. [​IMG]

18. John Carr

John Carr Stunt Coordinator

I try not to buy any movies since I'll have to replace them anyway the moment HD DVD comes out... [​IMG]

Still, I would rather spend my money on TV shows on DVD because I, too, like the continuing story lines and characters. The big surprise -- thanks to this forum and TVShowsonDVD -- are the number of great 'new' TV shows I've discovered, like Dead Like Me, Freaks & Geeks, Scrubs, Tru Calling, Carnivale and others.

In contrast, I do watch -- via Netflixs -- a lot of new and older movies, but see very few that I want to purchase.

I suspect that TV shows on DVD are still in their infancy; they really haven't yet attracted a large mainstream audience. When they do, watch out!

19. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Only time will tell what will happen long range, but there's already been some discussion that the TV on DVD market may be oversaturated and that the level of releases seen recently may be all the market can handle in any one given year.

There was an earlier thread or two on the oversaturation topic recently.

STeve

20. John S

John S Producer

Think they will ever go to a system where they release the DVD at the same time.. Like per episode? Many people still live in the boonies and cannot watch shows via broadcast. Would be interesting if they could at least watch the show in the same week as it air'd is all.

The seasons sets are cool, just pretty costly still. I still haven't bought one yet, but have my eyes on several these days. I use movies to escape reality so to speak, I'm just not sure watching 3 or 4 episodes in a row of a Tv series would provide that for me.

This thread has me curious now, I'll probably pickup some season sets very soon.