It must have been a weird expirience when modern humans met the Neanderthal.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, May 25, 2003.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I watch those shows on TV about our ancestors, and it's hard to comprehend meeting a totally different species of human. I often wonder what it was like when they met, and what they thought of the whole expirience. It must be humbling to know you aren't the only species of human on Earth.

2. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

EDIT: Are we allowed to have religious conversations here? Obviously would spark a lot of conflict with different thoughts.

If yes I'll post what I said.

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

If this thread is gonna offend anyone it can be closed. I didn't think about that when I posted it. Sorry everyone. :b

4. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I don't think it will. Not being religious myself, but I was just curious if we are allowed to discuss it on the forums.

And I took anthropology in college. I don't remember though Modern man running across Neanderthal. Where and When did this happen?

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

From what I've heard on the shows, it happened I think about 35,000 years ago in the middle east and Europe. They said that they both lived together for about 10,000 years before the Neanderthal died out. I admit though, that i might be mistaken on the actual species of prehistoric human, though I'm pretty sure they said it was Neanderthal.

6. Michael Were

Michael Were Stunt Coordinator

Who's to say that they are different species? Mitochondrial dna controversially suggests that we (homo sapien sapien) "could" have had limited breeding with homo sapien neanderthal. The real problem is getting enough usable dna from a wide enough pool of neanderthal to find out.

I know some people that have robust features and limited vocal abilities, maybe they're just hybrids?

Michael

7. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Read the book "The Clan of the Cavebear." It deals with this very subject. Great book, but the sequels are garbage.

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I doubt if they thought about being related. More to the point: will they eat me, can I eat them....hmmmm can I breed with them if I dont think they are too ugly.
    When you think about it, not much has changed

It would be wonderful if we found more that would explain our past... but there are so many things unexplained from the last decade....

9. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Isn't there a theory somewhere out there that red hair is a trait that we inherited from Neanderthals? I never got any details; just that there was a theory [​IMG]

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The lat I heard the general consensus was that there wasn't any interbreeding going on between the two speices...or at least not to any significant degree. As for religion we're not talking about religon we're talking about science so I don't see any reason this thread can't continue.

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Andrew would be correct.

You have 599 posts and have been here more than a year and you don't know one of the most crucial HTF posting guidelines? No discussion of religion—except within the context of how it may be portrayed in a film or televised drama. No exceptions.

12. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

How about the move to put Chimpanzees into the Homo genus, making them them and Homo Sapiens the only surviving members of the Genus Homo, and making them more successful (as a species timewise) then all the species Homo Sapiens descended from.

Argument is basically this: Chips and Humans share +97% of thier DNA, and both branched off the Primate tree about 4-5 Million years ago, with our next closest relative, the Gorilla branching from the primate tree about 6-8 million years ago. The timing of the branching, and the similarity of our DNA is indicative of chimps and the rest of human's ancestors are in fact the same branching. This would eliminate the PAN genus from the Pongidae family (which includes Orangutan (genus Pongo), Bonobo and Chimps (currently Genus PAN), the Gorillas (genus Gorilla) and modern humans (genus Homo)

So, we still co-habit the planet with one other surviving species of Human, if the argument stands up. Now that is cool.

13. Michael Were

Michael Were Stunt Coordinator

Lance,

You're my kind of guy. There is nothing worse than the splitter philosophy of biology (especially when it comes to humans and our ancestors/cousins). Case in point, just look at how much emphasis we place on "race" in our own species. But unlike most biology, human evolution and primatology have been swallowed up by cultural quagmire. Case in point read The ape and the sushi master by Frans De Waal for the conflicting view of culture between primatology and cultural biology.

Back to neanderthal:

By the way, for something to be a different species they cannot breed viable (able to reproduce) offspring. The genetic (DNA) material of homo sapien sapien and homo sapien neanderthal seems to be closely enough related that we "could" breed. The question becomes one of culture. Would we breed and to what scale? There are cases in the middle east (the holy state of Israel. typical that that land would cause yet another controversy) where neanderthals and sapiens were buried side by side, which in my eyes suggest probable breeding. So the next time your walking down the road and you see a guy with the prominent, robust forehead smile and think to yourself what a weird experience to see a neanderthal in a 3 piece suit.

Michael

14. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend the following:
    Robert J. Sawyer's Hominids

Its a current-day work of fiction, melding a bit of physics with Neanderthals and Humans. I enjoyed it very much. I don't want to go into much for fear of spoiling it.

15. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

From this article I read on Yahoo, chimps share more than 99 percent of the same DNA as humans. Not sure how true it is. I'm not surprised on how close humans and chimps are genetically, which I think is easy to tell by just looking at them.

16. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

You know WWE wrestlers in the flesh?

Was it weird when modern humans met Neanderthals? Probably not. We came, we met, we laid a bone across their skulls, and we wrote, "oddly they died out sometime after meeting us. Fancy that". Pretty normal for our species....definitely not weird. [​IMG]

17. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino