it may not be the stanley cup, but...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Christ Reynolds, May 30, 2003.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i got the chance to handle a stanley cup ring today. my dads home improvement business was doing some repair work on a scout's house, he works for the new jersey devils. he took it off, showed me all the detail that was on it, it was quite impressive. the devils logo done in diamonds, a bunch of stuff molded on the sides, it was quite something. and it was like half the size of an egg! he was telling up some stories too, some seemed exaggerated, he sure LOVES his devils [​IMG] telling me about how they could have had mario lemieux in his draft year, but the penguins threw the last few games in order to secure the #1 spot, and the devils organization is above that. even if that did happen, pittsburgh did the right thing, they won 2 cups 7 years after that, it took 16 years for the devils to win 2 cups. anyway...i'd better get to the point, if vince reads this, he may think i am drunk [​IMG] so my question is, how many of you out there have come in contact with some kind of memorabilia, sports or otherwise, that has had an effect on you? although i am the biggest red wings fan in this state, holding this ring was quite something.

CJ

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I've been to the hockey hall of fame in Toronto so I've seen the real cup and a bunch of the other old trophies etc.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I went to the All star game expo a few years back when it was in San Jose.I was walking around and all of a sudden the Cup was in front of me....I just about lost it.
    I am not normally an emotional person but my eyes started watering... never expected it at all

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    While doing some hiking in Lake Placid, my sister and I spent half a day in downtown Lake Placid and we visited the Olympic ice skating rink where the 1980's US hockey team beat the Russians to win the gold.. It was eerie looking at the old team photos and stuff and I'm not even a big hockey fan! I also hiked up Mt. Van Hoevenburg to see the new bobsled facilities there. When hiking Algonquin, you get great views of the ski jumping runs to.

I expect to see some history come alive when I go see the 100th anniversary of the 1st Tour de France this year. It's not the 100th tour since they obviously skipped the WWI and WWII years, but it's the 100th anniversary from the 1st Tour which was run in 1903. Should be awesome!

Jay

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I've never seen the Stanley cup, let alone a ring, but I have cut Greg Adams and Trevor Lindens lawn [​IMG] They both have a house one the lake here in Kelowna.

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

7. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I got to see the cup back in the day when the N.Y. Islanders won the 4 straight. It's a pretty amazing sight !

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

My wife used to work for Slava Kozlov's attorney, Scott Lites, and he brought the Cup to her office after one of the Wings championships. Very cool stuff.

BTW, Lites' brother is Jim Lites, who used to be president of the Dallas Stars. After the Stars won the Cup, he sent me an autographed Guy Carbonneau Dallas jersey -- my wife had asked him for some small Stanley Cup item signed by either Guy or Bob Gainey, knowing I am a huge Canadiens fan. It was an incredibly nice gesture.

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

10. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

12. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

I have also been the Hockey Hall of Fame and seen the cup and the other trophies.

I just about got to see the World Series trophy. I was at game 5 in the 92 series if Toronto would have won that game. They lost mostly because of the Lonnie Smith grand slam.

13. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

My favorite stanley cup story (since I was there[​IMG] ) was when I was playing street hockey and stephane matteau (GWG agains Devils 1994 Conf Semis) saw me and some friends playing and invited us to his house. When we got there we saw the Stanley Cup on a floating chair in the middle of his pool with a daquiri in the cup holder. Amazing what some people do with their one day with the cup.[​IMG]

14. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Hell, the Stanley cup hasn't even been the Stanley cup for years now. Just a bunch of over paid teams placed in cities that commonly think ice is used to chill martinis or beer.

This was the closest the Playoffs have been to a real series in some time. Unfortunately, the last Canadian team bought the farm.

Time to take Lord Stanley's cup back and let the small market teams with heart battle over it. I mean COME ON people, one of the teams in the final is owned by Disney, and named after a second rate kids movie. Oh, and just in case you go to a hockey game, and don't expect puck to leave the ice, we'll put up a big net that cuts down the contrast, muting colors and just makes things look, ICK. Have you noticed how bad it looks on TV, BTW?

PS: Don't even get me started on the new Third Uniform jerseys. What an excuse to try and up your jersey sales. Edmonton's is a sad, sad piece of clothing.

Oh, and I did meet the actual cup once when Mark Messier brought it home to St. Albert (his home town, a suburb of Edmonton) and partied at the Bruin Inn. Now THAT was cool!

PPS, sorry about the rant. Not intended as a thread fart.

15. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

of all the 3rd Jersey's I think Edm is the best of all them. The are some really really bad ones though.

16. BradK

BradK Stunt Coordinator

OMG, are you talkin 'bout the flying sperm drop?? It's brutal...."this represents that, that represents this". What a friggin joke, it's one of the ugliest jerseys I've ever seen, unless your an oil fan I suppose.

17. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    (More along the lines of Cam's post...

I sold a camcorder to Joel Otto when I was working at Futureshop several years ago. [​IMG]

Plus, Jarome Iginla (who I used to watch with the Blazers when I grew up in Kamloops) is close friends with my best friend's family, gives us tickets all the time.

Went to high school with Matt Recchi, Mark's brother...

18. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

Bradk that logo is my desktop wallpaper.

19. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Well, BradK, seeing as you're from Calgary, I doubt you'd give it much of a chance. [​IMG]

I think it's not too bad, as 3rd jerseys go.

20. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Lance, if you think Detroit, New Jersey, or New York, say don't care about hockey, I think you're a bit off, bud. The problem isn't the cities, it's the bargaining agreement. It allows the rich cities to try and buy the cup. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Oh, and as for the nets.. I don't notice them. I'd rather have them there than see more people get beaned by the puck. Whether you're watching or not, it's easy to get hit by one (as has happened at least once a game at each AHL game I've attended).

That said, saw the cup when I visited the Hockey Hall of Fame.. pretty impressive.