What's new

It may just be me but I feel that ICE AGE was alot better then Shrek (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This was one of the best parts of this film. Obviously Manny immediately identified with the child which made him want to get him to his tribe even more than before. I have to also agree that the voice of Manfred was out of character and slightly distracting, at least to me. The bottom line though is that I have both in my collection and my whole family enjoy to watch both.

Damian James

Stunt Coordinator
If Ray Romano wasn't the correct choice for Manfred, who would have been? I for one enjoyed his voice acting. It fit the crabby, cynical attitude the character displayed at the beginning of the picture.

As for a comparison between Shrek and Ice Age, I have to give a slight edge to Shrek storywise. Ice Age wins on animation though. Just look at the water flowing through that river... wow!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have to give a slight edge to Shrek storywise. Ice Age wins on animation though
The way I see it, Shrek barely had a story. It was more of a series of little skits that made fun of a specific fairy tale or classic animated film cliche, then tried to expand upon them and failed. It also is nearly unwatchable the second time, seeing as how most of the jokes either weren't that funny, or aren't funny a second time around.

And I think Ice Age's visual style was amazing. It was very abstract and was much more like something you'd expect to see in a traditionally animated film than a CGI one.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Anyone else agree or disagree on the subject?
Yep, I disagree with that kind of subject mightily. Inviting that kind of comparison is going to lead to movie bashing, which is exactly what some of this thread is.

They are VERY different kinds of movies, other than both being CGI.

Ice Age is almost a buddy road Movie, with a little of Three Men and a Baby thrown in. Shrek was designed to be a fractured fairytale referencing all the classic conventions. I do not believe they are fair comparisons as they will appeal to different portions of the population.

Personally, I got more enjoyment from Shrek than Ice Age, but I cannot say one is better than the other.

Kami

Screenwriter
My top 5 (well, 6)...

1. Toy Story
2. Toy Story 2 / Ice Age (tie)
3. Monsters Inc.
4. Shrek
5. Bugs Life

Ice Age really surprised me...I enjoyed it quite a bit. Shrek was amusing the first time I watched it, but I had trouble sitting through it a second time.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They are VERY different kinds of movies, other than both being CGI
When arguing how one does a certain element better than another (like comedy, voice acting, etc.) then each movie has some of those elements done different, but you can still compare the overall entertainment value.

Think of it as not a question of quality, but of "which would you rather watch more than once?"

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I thought Shrek was ALOT better than Ice Age. But then, I'm over 15 years of age..

Ice Age was geared more for children, while Shrek was geared for everyone, but LOTS of goodies for adults that the kids wouldn't get.. (Matrix reference, Baby Got Back, I could go on and on).

I enjoyed both, but Shrek has the replay value, IMHO.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[yawns]Oh yeah Shrek is the most popular CGI animated movie to date in the USA, grossing $267m.
Worldwide it grossed $469m, only Toy Story 2 ($485m) is more popular in this genre, not bad for an 'unwatchable' film.:D
Oh well there's always cute talking toys and funny prehistoric animals for the Shrek bashers of the world.;)
"Steve you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!"
"oh behave!"
:)

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
I thought Shrek was ALOT better than Ice Age. But then, I'm over 15 years of age..

Ice Age was geared more for children, while Shrek was geared for everyone, but LOTS of goodies for adults that the kids wouldn't get.. (Matrix reference, Baby Got Back, I could go on and on).
that's odd - if that's the case i wonder why i enjoyed Ice Age 100x more than Shrek (and i'm 19 years old)...

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian

Funny, those are among the reasons I consider Shrek to be the more childish of the two. An over reliance on cheap references to much better films and an overabundance of juvenile sexual innuendo & fart jokes. "Ice Age" had a mild spattering of these things but kept it a lot more in check.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Funny, those are among the reasons I consider Shrek to be the more childish of the two. An over reliance on cheap references to much better films and an overabundance of juvenile sexual innuendo & fart jokes. "Ice Age" had a mild spattering of these things but kept it a lot more in check.

Colin-H

Second Unit
But that was part of the whole concept of Shrek. Taking away the references would've be like taking the satire out of Hot Shots or something of the sort.

Two totally different movies. Ice Age was a straight-up children's film. Shrek was not.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
But that was part of the whole concept of Shrek. Taking away the references would've be like taking the satire out of Hot Shots or something of the sort.
I can laugh at a good dick and fart joke as much as the next guy (hell, I love Kevin Smith films) but Shrek rubbed me the wrong way. I found the animation quality to be poor, with much of it to have a very "unfinished" look to it; characters seemed to be largely single color with not a huge amount of variation, and the scheme bothered me a good deal. I always thought of it as: "If Pixar had rendered a film on an Atari ST"
Shrek had some moments in it I really enjoyed, but most of the humor seemed to be of the "wah, wah, waaaahh.." type variety, a nudge and cheek, which became grating by about half way through. I found Shrek to be a very wanting film without a huge amount of underlying story.
That having been said, Toy Story 2 is probably one of my favorite CG movies, in that TS2 had a very adult oriented storyline that held my attention. I have always believed that TS2 (moreso then the original) took on a lot of difficult questions and handled them in a kid friendly way. It was, in my mind, a Best Picture nominee that year, and the love story behind it was so solid that it is hard to equate with anything else.
In the last few years, both Toy Story 1/2 and "The Iron Giant" have stood out in my mind as fantastic story telling. I felt attached to those stories and cared about the characters. A Bugs Life, while interesting, didn't do that so much for me. "Monsters Inc." did a much better job of it then most recently, and I found it to be a good story about growing up.
I thought Ice Age was weak, and while Scrat was funny, he didn't relate to the story at all, almost as though a clown ran out in the middle of any script when it hit a slow spot and started goofing around.
Ice Age was (IMHO) a "Land Before Time" ripoff that I would probably rank below say.. "Atlantis". That having been said, my kids love it (far more then Shrek) and although they are only 3 & 2, I generally yield to their results on what I pickup for them ;)
CW

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have not seen Ice Age yet but plan too.
I rank the CGI animated movies as:

1.) Toy Story 2
2.) Monsters Inc.
3.) Bugs Life
4.) Toy Story
5.) Antz

Add me to the list that absolutely hated Shrek. The whole movie felt as if it was aimed at 13-14 year olds with embarrassingly immature jokes and the animation no better than a play station 2 game. I felt Eddie Murphy just rehashed the Donkey from his Dragon in Mulan but he was much funnier in Mulan. I just wanted the Donkey to shut up.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
While I agree the animation in Ice age was Much better than Shrek, I stand by my opinion that Shrek was geared more for adults. Ice Age, I thought, was more of a family picture, unoffensive and with a moral. Shrek was buffonery, plain and simple, and I enjoyed it.
But everyone's different, and entitled to their opinion. Sorry if that last post sounded like a slam.. :)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I enjoyed Ice Age a lot but didn't see much to the story. You can basically sum it up in "Baby gets lost, and they take the entire movie to return it."
Not much else happens. There are some exciting scenes towards the end but the story didn't have much to it at all.

I did like the video quality very much. And the squirrel was awesome. I expected a lot more comedy from Ray Romano though. I was quite surprised that he didn't have very many funny scenes/lines.

I like Shrek better but not by a large margin. Toy Story 2 and Monsters Inc were better than both.

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Part of my disinterest in Shrek stems from my impatience with reference humor. Just because you catch a reference doesn't make its inclusion clever, much less funny. It's my experience that people laugh at these things as a way of announcing to the rest of the audience that they're versed in the source material.

Why does everybody rank Antz so low? I love that movie!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks