It may just be me but I feel that ICE AGE was alot better then Shrek

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Dec 6, 2002.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Anyone else agree or disagree on the subject?

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Disagree. Ice Age seemed more of a knock-off effort. One of the big problems I had with it was the choice of character voices. Ray Romano was dull and Leary seemed uninterested. Leguizamo was fine...but on the whole, the film just lacked the spark and upbeat tempo that Shrek had.
    Bruce

3. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

I don't know if "Ice Age" is better than "Shrek" but I do know "Shrek" was trash, plain and simple. The most boring and dull piece of film I've ever been subjected to, with pedestrian jokes, pointless story, not to mention the movie dates itself from the very first scene, and overall just bleh! I can't believe the thing is so popular because I absolutely hate this film with a passion.

4. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Sean you're not a Pixar employee by any chance? [​IMG]
    I enjoyed both 'Ice Age' and 'Shrek', Ice Age had some great visual gags, and Shrek was superb from beginning to end, richly deserved winning the first ever Best Animated Film Oscar, fantastic animation and a witty script [taking the occasional poke at Disney] and Eddie Murphy as Donkey hasn't been this funny in decades.
    Shrek is top of my CGI animation favorites, with 'Antz' at no.2.
    "Where you going?"
    "Well I have to save my ass!"

5. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

No, not a Pixar employee. I just don't like trash movies [​IMG] I love Ants and Iron Giant (hey, the robot is technically CG!!) hehe

6. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

I liked both movies immensely, but Ice Age doesn't hold a candle to Shrek.

The script, characters, music, animation...it's the best family entertainment to come out in decades. My daughter watched this DVD like someone was coming to take it away. I could hardly get one of my own DVDs into the player.

Also, one of the best DTS soundtracks I've ever heard.

Ice Age is a really excellent film, so I think it isn't really fair to compare the two.

7. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Shrek was more original, Ice Age seemed more of a Shrek ripoff on steriods. I didn't like the character that John Legizamo gave voice to. It also looked hideous and too Jar Jar Binkish for me. In summation, I like Shrek better as did my very young relatives.

8. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

My favorite CGI films:
    First (tie): Toy Story, Toy Story 2
    second: Shrek
    third: Ice Age
    fourth: Monsters, Inc.
    fifth: A Bug's Life
    (I hate Antz)
    I haven't yet seen Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie, but it will probably figure near the top of the list. I love VeggieTales.

9. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

the squirell in ice age rocks tho [​IMG]

10. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I'm with Todd and Bruce here. I think Shrek is heavily overrated and is prevented from being rewatchable because of the horribly dated jokes that are already cringe worthy.

I rate Ice Age and Monsters Inc. much higher than Shrek.

11. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

I like ICE AGE better than SHREK, though the first two-thirds of SHREK are pretty good (both movies are better than the Disneyfication of childhood fears that is MONSTERS INC.) ICE AGE is more interesting visually because it eschews the overpolished sheen of recent CGI films to create a surrealistic landscape that seems conceived as a 3D interpretation of cave paintings. And it's consistently funny, too.

Mark

12. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Ice Age is definitely not as good as Shrek. Ice Age was saved by the Scrat. If that character had not been there the film would have been rather boring. The part where the Mammoth reminisces about his family and his reaction afterwards toward the kid are totally at odds with each other. After remembering that his mate and kid had been killed by humans, I would have expected him to turn around and stomp on the kid. One less hunter to worry about, so to speak.

13. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The squirrel in Ice age is AWESOME. Too bad he wasn't in it more.
    I thought Ice Age was ok - I liked it a little bit more than Shrek (because of the squirrel? [​IMG] )
    I think Toy Story was better and the best CG movie made to date.

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Shrek was way better than Ice Age in my opinion. I could not help thinking of Shrek when I saw ice age. The relationship between Manny and Sid is that of Shrek and Donkey. However, Ice Age did have its moments. Apart from the sqirrel (which was ok), I liked part where Manny was looking at the pictures in the cave and having a flashback to his own family (touching).

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Shrek felt like a bunch of little skits all tied together that didn't quite make out a whole movie. After the first viewing, it's not nearly as funny.

Ice Age felt like an actual movie instead of just a CGI comedy movie. It had comedy, but also had an actual storyline that was pretty well developed. It also had an extremely unique visual style and stands as the most visually original and abstract CGI movie I've seen.

17. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Of course Ice Age is better, because Shrek is downright horrible. It a overated film that gets too much press because it had a few stars in it. And if you think that I don't have a reason, then wrong because the ending is just horrible. Plus the character were rather lame too in the movie. Ice Age is good on the most part, except the villain who is rather generic and not really threating. Toy Story 2 and Monster Inc still rule the line through.

18. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I thought Ice Age was better than Shrek also. I also don't like Shrek all that much. As already mentioned, Shrek is ok on the first viewing but has no rewatchability for me.

19. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

I thought Ice Age was all right, but I (along with the other people I watched it with) were barely laughing. It's a kids film, and the jokes are aimed at kids. The Scrat bit got really old by the end of the movie. I'd rather watch a movie with dated jokes than jokes that aren't funny.

I also agree that the voices weren't nearly as good. Ray Romano sounded like he thought he was recording "Everybody Loves Manny". I was waiting for him to get into a fight with Deborah. Leary was a bit better, Leguizamo better still, but Manny really was the focus of the film in terms of character, and I thought the voice really pulled him out of character.

20. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor