What's new

It just seems wrong (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Correct as usual, Cees. If you're a member of the EU you don't need to display the sticker if you're in another EU country. The change in legislation was brought about after Italian and French drivers complained about the way drivers in other countries would do anything to avoid them. :D

But seriously, folks, the idea was a good one, and I think it's a shame it's been changed. It basically signalled to other drivers that the person driving was a stranger to the country, might not know their way or rapidly understand road signs, etc, and accordingly warned drivers to be careful. There's a similar scheme in the UK for freshly-qualified drivers (though not yet mandatory) where they have a green 'L' on a white background sign on the car, indicating that they are as yet inexperienced drivers. Both schemes have some value, because in my experience, other drivers are likely to be more accommodating/forgiving.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I think far worse is the sort of person who has an oh-so-sensible car festooned with 'save the planet' stickers and yet sees nothing remotely wrong in taking regular plane trips (thereby in a single journey depleting more ozone than a typical gas-guzzling motorist will manage in years). I once confronted one of them who'd been sounding off about how we should return to coal (Britain is in the middle of one of the biggest industrial compensation cases in history to compensate the thousands of miners with wrecked lungs - ormore often than not, their widows :frowning:) about her regular holidays in mainland Europe. I got the reply 'but everyone needs some enjoyment'. By their deeds shall ye know them.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - My dads friend has a ton of bumper stickers on his Cadilac. I just don't get it.

And speaking of 'just wrong' - I see a lot of these bumper stickers that say For such a small town, there sure are a lot of assholes, and most of these drivers aren't what you'd call the safest of drivers. I saw one guy with this bumper sticker and he was speeding all over the place.

Talk about eating crow...:frowning: Asshole! :D I guess he was just trying to live up to his bumper sticker claim.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"For such a small town, there sure are a lot of assholes"

"I guess he was just trying to live up to his bumper sticker claim."

Or better yet, he was the one selling the bumper sticker!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks