What's new

It just never stops....xbox's october lineup looks more grim by the second (1 Viewer)

Damien

Supporting Actor
First as we all know, blinx manages to only get a 7 and 7.75, so at least it has been degraded from system seller status
then the bad part:
Toe Jam and Earl 3 - 6, 6.75 - says game is too similar to series, which hasn't aged well....damn i can't believe this
next page:
house of the dead 3 - 6, 6.5 - the graphics/control were good, and it includes house of the dead 2....but the game is SHOOORT , easy, not many branches, and apparently AUTO RELOAD...this has been downgraded to a rental for me

two mics. things:
-game informer puts out wacky and crackhead reviews, the gave dtr 9's, but also some spot on reviews...and imo these reviews look pretty legitimate unfourtunetely
-besides JSRF, i am getting fed up with sega, especially since pdO won't arrive for some reason this year...why release it in japan first when xbox can't even beat ps1 there - crazy taxi 3, sega gt 2002, gunvalykre, toe jam and earl 3, and others aren't what they should be on xbox...too bad

Damien

Supporting Actor
now granted i can't expect much from a light gun game, but still...there is no reason of the problems gi reported....

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Um....ok....
i am getting fed up with sega, especially since pdO won't arrive for some reason this year...why release it in japan first when xbox can't even beat ps1 there - crazy taxi 3, sega gt 2002, gunvalykre, toe jam and earl 3, and others aren't what they should be on xbox...too bad
PDO's delay while unfortunate may have been necessary and I'm more than willing to wait as long as a superior product is released at the end of the day.
I would imagine Sega games are released first in Japan because Sega is a Japanese company and its game will be released in its homeland first then in the west.
As for your assesment of the quality of games Sega has been releasing on the Xbox, its your opinion (theres that kooky word again). Though how you can form one of TJ&E without having played the game I cant figure out so I''l leave it at that.
(though I will agree wholeheartedly that Crazy Taxi 3 was...ummm...POOP of the highest degree!)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
If thier biggest complaint is that the game is similiar to the original Toe Jam and Earl its a definite purchase for me.
Well said Romier. I love the original game, and it's been 10 years since I've played it. Hell, ToeJam and Earl 2 was not at all similar to part one, and it stunk.

Like Andre, ToeJam and Earl 3 is a game I've been looking forward to for a long time. I need another injection of funk. The last time I had one was when I bought "The Funky 16 Corners" on CD. Good stuff.

Damien

Supporting Actor
if done properly house of the dead would of got a 7.75/ an 8, rvrn if it was short...

toe jam got a 6 for stale humor(which some people will dig), simple/repetitive play, and that it hasn't aged well....it says diehard fans of the series may love it, which may make you feel more optimistic, but then they also said it is executed with average written all over it.
like i said romier, hotd 3 auto reload is a flaw, that is one of the main factors that make light gun games challeging, they should of made this an option. i already listed the other probs. But i would get this game eventually, not for 50, because it has 2 along with it.
as for game informer, they gave sead to rights a 9.25, and other games with similar quality 9's as well...so almost like ign some people would question there credibility.
blinx was hyped too much to get the scores it's been getting, no other way around it....i will settle on multipkatform games for now

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
Damien, every game every to come out will suck.
There you go now you don't have to play any future games. :D
Why don't you wait and play a game for yourself instead of relying on someone(you have never met) judgement of a game. Plus different people probably reviewed Dtr and Blinx or any of the other titles.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
as for game informer, they gave sead to rights a 9.25, and other games with similar quality 9's as well...so almost like ign some people would question there credibility.
Maybe they simply felt that was about Dead to Rights. I don't mean to get high strung here Damien but ITS AN OPINION!. Does anyone else get tired of hearing EVERY time a review comes that the reviewer is biased, or that its a big conspiracy against *insert system here*. Take it for what it is and leave it at that.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well said Romier. I love the original game, and it's been 10 years since I've played it. Hell, ToeJam and Earl 2 was not at all similar to part one, and it stunk
At one point, I was going to redo TJ&E.com and got to talk to one of the creators. We had a great time talking about the game, including the fact it wouldn't run on emulators properly because of a specific graphic trick they used. ("Maybe I should email them and explain it") He said that TJ&E was basically ordered by Sega because they wanted to do a cartoon series and wanted a more kid friendly game.

EDIT: TJ&E _2_ was ordered for a potential cartoon, NOT 1

To me, TJ&E 3 looks like the original with bigger areas, great graphics, more funkadelic music, more enemies, and most importantly, MORE PRESENTS!

Worth every penny already

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info Jeff. To be honest, I never tried to emulate Toejam and Earl. I think I still have the original cart floating around somewhere. My Genesis is packed away somewhere, along with Splatterhouse 2 and Krusty's Funhouse.

In the latest EGM, however, the allude to the fact that the original game may be hidden away as an Easter Egg in TJ+E 3. That'd be very cool.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Huh??
What about:
Hitman 2
Lord of the Rings
Terminator
Timesplitters
DOA Beach Vollyball
To my mind, October is one of the BEST release months for the XBox. Even if these get some 6/7/8 rating, they are all worth at least a rental. Sure, they are not Halo, but many are darn enjoyable.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
As I edited above, I did mean that TJ&E _2_ was supposed to be for a cartoon
I would not be shocked AT ALL if the game was hidden, it woul be less than a megabyte for the emulator and game, and I'm sure since they know their tricks, they could fix the tiling problem :)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
The new House of the Dead game comes with the complete version of House of the Dead II, if anyone cares ...

Joe michaels

Second Unit
The only time I let reviews affect my decision is that if they come back really low from several sources or if a game is rated really exceptional from several sources. If a game rates around a 7 then I have to decide myself or look at exactly why tehy did not like it.
No save points or extremely frustrating are just a couple terms I hate to see in a review.
Take the Terminator reviews for example. They were kind of low, even Romier said he returned it. I still bought it and I enjoyed playing it once I got past some of the annoyances of the game. It;s not a great game but an example of how you can still like a mildly rated reviewed game. They can't all be 10's.

Damien

Supporting Actor
well what do you know, toe jam and earl is flops worse than any other title, getting a 5.0 from gamespot.
now i ONLY have xbox, but this is getting ridiculous. on all fronts this has been the most disappoining last couple of months for all consoles... that and ign's confirmation that hotd is beatable in a HALF and hour is really getting me peeved at sega...they need to cut the crap and get it together....now i am glad they didn't release pd kind of

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks