What's new

It is now Thanksgiving - where is the Outlaw 950??? (1 Viewer)

Michael D

Stunt Coordinator
What is the latest on this piece, anyone heard anything lately. Is it still possible to get one of these under the tree for Xmas for example??

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I guess no one wants to touch this post, because we're all wondering the same thing.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, just wanted to let you know your not alone in this WHEN WILL THE 950 BE RELEASED thing.

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully we'll get an update from the Outlaws next week but I have a feeling that the 950 will not be available by Christmas 2001. The good news is that the more they delay it the more choices we'll have. In January Sherwood will introduce its new preamp in Vegas and maybe we'll get some news from Sony and Marantz on their upcoming preamps. What if the preamps offered by the other companies will be better i.e have firewire and stereo rear surrounds for 7.1? The new Sony TA-E10 preamp is supposed to be a killer machine and it seems that the street price will be around $2000... I would love to get the outlaw by Christmas but if they delay it again I'd rather wait for the Sony.

Razvan

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I'm glad I didn't wait for the Outlaw. I'm not saying it won't be worth the wait, but I'm so pleased with the Logic 7 feature on the Lexicon. I haven't heard another 7.1 surround that can touch it.

Ron

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

How much did you pay for the Lexicon? Instead of the new Dolby format Outlaw should have added something like Logic 7 to the 950 and change the price from 899 to 999 or even more, I wouldn't have minded at all. Maybe there's still time for that?

Razvan

W

Will

In January Sherwood will introduce its new preamp in Vegas

I read that this pre/pro will be like the Sherwood R-963

receiver, without the receiver's amplifier section of course.

Unfortunately, the pre/pro probably won't be available too

soon, so there could be a long wait between the CES intro

this January and when it's actually available.

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Will,

Yes, but at least we'll know more about Outlaw's competition. Outlaw's big advantage right now is the low price of the 950 and the lack of competition. If they don't release the 950 very soon and word comes out that other manufacturers are working on comparable or better preamps then maybe people would rather wait for the Sherwood, Sony or Marantz preamps.

I myself am still considering the Outlaw preamp because I think that it will be very good soundwise. Outlaw can't afford to release a 950 that doesn't sound very good. Imagine that the 950 doesn't live up to expectations. Imagine the huge disappointment, the bad word of mouth. This kind of thing can break a small company. The Outlaw 950 must be very good or else...

I bet that the delay has something to do with their fixing some bugs. The first units that reach the consumers are crucial. I think that they're doing the right thing not to release the unit until they got it 99.999999% right. Still, they should have kept us, their potential custiomers, up to date with the beta testing. I mean, we don't even know for sure if it has started or not. Their posting photos of the alpha unit for example didn't help much. Why pics of an alpha unit and not a beta unit? Regular updates on the 950 preamp would have stopped people like me and you from speculating.

Razvan

Doug_B

Screenwriter
My problem with the 950 timing (or lack thereof) is that I committed to purchasing all my other equipment so I could do the appropriate demoing at home during Xmas week, while I'm on vacation. The most critical piece I have to audition are speakers, which I'm trialing without a previous demo. I currently have no DD/DTS receiver/processor nor even a unit that provides a sub channel, so I need something by this time (although I could have the speaker company hold up my order and do demoing on a couple of weekends).

Doug

W

Will

they should have kept us, their potential custiomers, up to date with the beta testing. I mean, we don't even know for sure if it has started or not. Their posting photos of the alpha unit for example didn't help much. Why pics of an alpha unit and not a beta unit?

I agree. What Outlaw is doing is perplexing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks