What's new

It finally happened!Bottomed out the 20-39cs. (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I have listened to the TPM,Terminator,Tomb Raider,and alot of bass intensive DVD's but after playing JPIII at -6db's below Reference level the 20-39cs gave it up.I heard a BLAAAT on the Scene where the spiny huge dinasour attacks them on the boat. The Paradigm with its Servo contol handled it with ease.Until now the SVS has kept up with the Servo 15 and I have been pleased.I am running the 20-39cs with 1 channel of a Parasound 2205a.

If Tom or Ron peak in on this thread what can I do to prevent this?I have just ordered the ETF software and am waiting on cables to run the software also I am going to corner laod both subs.I already have a BFD but am waiting to run EFT and get all cabling together.Also waiting on a 30ft sub cable from CAt.Any feedback is appreciated.

Is it possible to tune the 20-39 lower? Should I trade up to a PLUS?

Thanks,

Steve

RichardH

Supporting Actor
1. Don't run the sub so loud.
2. High-pass the sub at 20Hz. (sub-sonic filter)
3. Get another one or trade up to the Plus :D
Tuning it lower will make you lose a little above the tuning point, so you probably don't want to do that. If you wanted more output in the common bass frequencies, you could get a higher-tuned port, like the 25Hz port, and then high-pass the sub at 25Hz.

ling_w

Second Unit
Buy a new driver and return the old one right away so that it could be made available as B-stock.

Also, send email to Universal Studio and tell them that their subwoofer must have blown up already, hence their dialing up the LFE higher and higher until their amp started to shake, thus creating the rumble that they felt. Either that or there was an earthquake happening at the time they were recording the attack scene and the earthquake rumble was recorded into the soundtrack.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Jordan, why do you say that? I like to listen at reference levels hence spending the $ on mid to high end components.I have upgraded from Paradigm studio 100's, CC450,Active 20's and ADP's plus the Servo and added an SVS to try to create what you would reproduce in the theater with clean,articulate,dynamic sound.I'm getting fairly close, I believe. I think the SVS is a great sub and really enjoy it but am trying to work out the kinks. Bottoming out is one of those kinks.I am still learining about this great hobby, which is part of the fun and enjoyment. It keeps me off the streets and out the pubs.When I research a speaker or sub one of the things I look at is can it reproduce reference levels at high output.I believe the SVS can I just need to do something to facilitate the solution.

Cheers,

Steve

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
LOL......I have tried to bottom out my 16-46pc and I have yet to be able to do it. I have all speakers calibrated to 85db with Avia, and the sub is running 5-6db hot. I watched the THX intro from TPM at + 10 and it just shook the whole house and keep on going. The pod race scene followed up and still nothing. Pearl Harbor came last week.......and nothing there did it either......but there is some great bass in it. U571 didn't do it either.

I have played all the bass intensive scenes I have in my arsenal and have yet to hear the clacking of a hurting woofer.

I'll have to try out the JPIII scene referenced here......it seems that all the newer DVD's are coming out with more and more deep bass. It's great!

GabrielC

Stunt Coordinator
Just out of curiousity, what makes the clacking sound? Is there some physical metal restraint to limit the excursion of the woofer? Do all subs have the same clack, or is that just a design for warning the user? (Wondering because I don't know if I've hit the limit on my AR sub yet, mind you I haven't put it through any stress testing :) )

Jordan Tracey

Stunt Coordinator
I would think it would be the voice coil hitting the...Whatever the....Dang...I forgot all the speaker part names.... Well, I would think it is the voice coil hitting whatever the magnet pole is connected too...The back plate?

Sebastien David

Second Unit
out of curiosity (and ignorance)... what exactly is "reference" level?

in terms of dB, how loud is it? and what part of the movie should be that loud? the loudest, the quietest?

i'm just curious, to know exactly how much further i have to go to get reference level sound in my room...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Wondering because I don't know if I've hit the limit on my AR sub yet, mind you I haven't put it through any stress testing
If you are wondering what it sounds like, then it never happened to your sub. When it happens, you will know. The sound is unmistakably loud.

--

Holadem

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I'll try to cover as much, as fast,as I can...

*ling* sez,

>>>Buy a new driver and return the old one right away so that it could be made available as B-stock.what makes the clacking sound? Is there some physical metal restraint to limit the excursion of the woofer

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Tom, yes my room is large 4600 cubic ft.the subs are in different areas but this will change by the holidays.I will be corner loading both subs and eq'ing them with a BFD.I just purchased the ETF software so this should help also.
I was a little miffed because they have gotten through U571,TPM,and numerous bass intensive disc's without a problem.Say Tom what is the trade in value for an upgrade to a CS+?:D
Cheers,
Steve

Sebastien David

Second Unit
thanks another time TV for enlightening a poor lost soul!

so basically i have no way of knowing exactly how loud i should turn the sound up to to experience the movie at reference level because it will vary from film to film, right?

i'm right away going to use the ol' Rat Shack meter to see how loud (without distortion) my system can go up to in my room... should be pretty loud since i have a small room.

thanks again TV!

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Um, Tom.. I thought Ling was speaking tongue-in-cheek... ya know.. looking to pick up a bargain from B stock. ;)
Steve, does your B&K allow you to setup a bass peak level limiter?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Tom, yes my room is large 4600 cubic ft.the subs are in different areas but this will change by the holidays.I will be corner loading both subs and eq'ing them with a BFD.I just purchased the ETF software so this should help also.
I was a little miffed because they have gotten through U571,TPM,and numerous bass intensive disc's without a problem.Tom BTW they are calibrated to 77dbs.Using tone generator on the B&K Ref 30.>Say Tom what is the trade in value for an upgrade to a CS+?>thanks another time TV for enlightening a poor lost soul! so basically i have no way of knowing exactly how loud i should turn the sound up to to experience the movie at reference level because it will vary from film to film, right? i'm right away going to use the ol' Rat Shack meter to see how loud (without distortion) my system can go up to in my room... should be pretty loud since i have a small room. thanks again TV!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Um, Tom.. I thought Ling was speaking tongue-in-cheek... ya know.. looking to pick up a bargain from B stock.

ling_w

Second Unit
>>>But Ron and I will both be spending a lot of time in the next few days fielding emails about *SVS using defective drivers in their B-stocks*...that's assured.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.