What's new

It: Chapter Two (September 6, 2019) (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Really good sequel but when I get this at home I'll be better off and not wish I had a depends on. Had to pee so bad! Last time I did this was Trek Into Darkness at an IMAX 3D. I drove a hour and 45 to get to that, didn't know it but a spider was under the bill of my cap the whole time. Not a bad spider, docile one. true true I promise that's true! lol bad luck them spiders! I didn't leave to pee and said I'd never do that again. Did it again. :(

The first act was the best, made me think these film makers could churn out something next that becomes an instant classic like an ET or something that kids remember seeing even when they hit 70.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm just wondering if they came up with something better than the ending of the TV version with the

giant spider

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Good sequel. My family enjoyed it. Ending so much better than the TV version. I was pleased they were able to tell a more complete version of the story. Might need to reread this one again if I can find a spare half-year ;).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
i thought the Henry Bowers stuff could have gone. It didn’t really add much in terms of story, though I know it was part of the book. As for Beverly, It’s been awhile since I read the book, but did her husband ever show up again there either? Also what was going on about how Bill couldn’t write good endings, seems like that was supposed to build to something that didn’t really materialize, unless i just didn’t pick up on it.

I get Bowers had to stick the knife in Eddie's face in order to kick start his change from Mr. Super Safe to where he ends up. It just felt super unnecessary and the same journey for Eddie could have taken place without that extra five minutes of Bowers screen time.

Same for Beverly. I understand needing to introduce each of the kids as an adult and where their lives are now. Her story is making bad choices after the events of her childhood. Ya know, she thought the wrong boy wrote the postcard...which leads to nearly a full movie of "will they or won't they"...again, something I really didn't need to see when Pennywise is killing people.

I'm seeing about 20 minutes that could be cut out without major loss to the overall story.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Saw It 2 in Dolby Cinema yesterday (thanks A-List!).

IMO, there is a very good hour and 45 minute movie lurking inside this 2 hour and 45 minute monstrosity. I very much liked the first 90 or so minutes, much better than the first movie.

The last hour lost me, just a barrage of stuff coming at you with endless false endings. That stuff looked and sounded really good in DC, btw, but it signified nothing.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Bill Skarsgard doesn't rule out a possible IT prequel-film:

https://www.ew.com/movies/2019/09/08/it-chapter-two-pennywise-bill-skarsgard/

In the Stephen King book, Pennywise first shows up in prehistoric times. So what I'm saying is, have IT vs. DINOSAURS. Maybe a particularly-friendly, rather colorful, dinosaur shows him the true meaning of love. Then he gets meteored. So now he's a mean jerk. $100 million opening weekend.

(...Oh, and he gets bitten by a turtle. And he mentions that this "sucked," for an Easter-egg.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Saw it today. I thought it was a significant step down from the first film. I had two big issues with it:
  1. Whereas the first movie made Derry feel like a cohesive place, this movie felt more like a collection of creepy locales with much connective tissue. A lot of the locations are even the same in both movies, but how they're utilized is different. Partially that's because it suffers from the same issue as the final season of "Game of Thrones": The characters seem to just teleport around Derry, from location to location.
  2. This movie uses the same bag of tricks as the first one. Right around the time the Losers scattered to retrieve their totems, with one-on-one confrontations with Pennywise back to back to back, the law of diminishing returns began to kick in a big way. By the time they headed back down into the sewers, I was bored not scared.
I thought Bill Hader as Ritchie and James Ransone as Eddie were just brilliant casting, for different reasons. Hader gave the best performance in the movie, the one actor who really sold the 27 years his character lived in between. Ransone gave a solid performance as Eddie, but it's his resemblance to Jack Dylan Grazer that was really remarkable.

I also thought Jay Ryan brought something interesting to the table as Ben. He's confident and cool, but you still feel that sensitive overweight kid inside. And I liked what Isaiah Mustafa brought to old Mike, even though he's more of a plot device than a fully fleshed out character here.

McAvoy and Chastain were fine. They each have a pretty thankless task, since they spend most of the movie pretty static, Bill still imprisoned by his guilt for his brother's death, and Beverly still trapped in the cycle of abuse that started with her father. I kind old Bill kind of boring, and I find young BIll kind of boring. On the other hand, I find young Bev a lot more interesting than old Bev. Not sure if Sophia Lillis is a better actress, or she just got better material.

The de-aging of the kids was pretty seamless, probably the best this technique has looked yet. The only character it got a little wonky with was Finn Wolfhard; he probably changed the most since they shot the last movie, and so required the most manipulation to de-age.

I wanted more of Jess Wexler as Bill's wife. Ben gets the girl, so it would have been helpful to see that the family Bill left behind to return to Derry actually is right for him. And I really wanted him to get his Sleeping Beauty moment with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks