It came, it got plugged in, it conquered!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck Bogie, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

And it works fine as long as I've got the switch in the "on" position...

The little (not so little as I was thinking, actually...) DLS-10 matches visually VERY well with my Infinity Entras. Excellent fit and finish. Plugged it in (Monster THX sub cable and a Dayton splitter, from my LFE to both RCAs), turned the switch on (well, I checked if it worked in auto first...), cranked the crossover to max and the volume to about 9 o'clock (or 3 o'clock or whatever - It's up just a little, okay? Hmpff... Then I whipped out my handy dandy ratshack meter, and punched the tonez button on my 1803, dropped the volume to about -15 or so, cycled through my speakers, and then _dropped_ (I guess that the little amount I turned the volume was too much...) the sub to -8, where it's just a little "hotter" than the speaks (fronts are at 0). The thing definitely has power to spare... I've got it a couple of feet from the corner, and there are a couple of definite "deadish" areas in the room, so I'll probably be moving furniture and floor lamps and all sortsa mean ugly rotten nasty stuff tonight. Also gonna be drillin' on the bottom and installing spikes.

Anywho it was time for LOTR - Whew! This little puppy could DEFINITELY get me kicked out of my apartment! Sounds VERY good.

After that, I put in the new Dixie Chicks DVD, and was pretty impressed with that. Nice and tight. Also went through some Dead and some jazz on the CD player.

2. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

Chuck, I'll soon be calibrating my DLS to my Denon 1803 too. I know we can adjust the db for the sub (as well as the rest of the speakers) via the receiver, BUT I also noticed there is an adjustment for SUB EXT (the default per the manual is +15). Do you know what the heck this does?? I haven't adjusted it at all yet and was wondering...more tweakability?

3. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

I think it may have something to do with the external analog input stuff. I've basically ignored it.

Frankly, if I cranked this sucker up to "boom car" levels, and heated up the receiver output a little, I think I could knock stuff off the walls in my little place...

4. tommy_esq

Chuck, while I was home at lunch I adjusted the receiver to -6 for the sub (from 0) . This would seem to be lowering it as opposed to raising it? It sounded like there was less bass at -6 than at 0. I then tried it at +6 and see an increase in bass response. Is +6 what you meant when you said you were running it hotter than the rest of your speakers? The rest of mine are presently set at 0.

5. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Tommy, do you use your 1803 for a "stereo" or for a home theater type dealie? I'm running my front speaks (Infinity Entras) at "0", my surrounds (old Infinity Studio Monitor 120s - which are pretty efficient and fairly close to the couch) at -6 or so, and the backs at -5ish... This makes for a nice even surround mix with movies. Do you have one of those Radio Shack meters? Use the test tones button on your remote to set everything.

I've got a friend who insists on running everything "even" by the numbers, and I don't like to watch movies at his place - For instance, in a well-mixed film like Blackhawk Down, you can't hear the dialog from his center speakers (he's running a pair through a Phase Linear 400) because the "ambient" sound from the front (Phase Linear 700) and rear surrounds (Phase Linear 400) overpowers 'em. He still thinks of the thing in terms of stereo, which works fine for music, but for a film with center-centered (doh!) dialog, etc., it doesn't.

With the sub, I'm not looking for a "boom," or really a noticeable difference, at least until it is turned off - When everything blends in, I'm happy. I still get plenty of "thump" at this level, without being overpowered by the system... With a flick like U-571, when you turn off the sub, the sub (grin) stops "moving." I think that the LFE track on that disk runs the whole film... At this level, at least in my room, the depth-charging scene rattles things, but I don't notice the sub when I'm running it, unless I cut it on and off - It's a natural sound, and I like that...

6. tommy_esq

Chuck, my setup is strictly HT. So are you saying that -6 is in fact the setting you're using for the sub then as opposed to +6?

No I haven't purchased a SPL meter yet. Maybe this weekend. I do have the VE DVD.

7. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Right - The sub is set at -6 currently, but hey, your mileage _WILL_ vary, since I basically just slowly turned the volume knob on the sub up a little bit after I turned it on first, until I could just sorta hear/feel a little bass (had the local classical station on), then I walked over, picked up the remote, and hit the tones button.

If you've got your volume knob lower, then you'll set your receiver's gain higher, to equal the same volume... I suppose I could set my receiver at 0, but I'd have to lower the volume knob, which ain't all that high to start with.