What's new

It Came From Outer Space: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Just finished It. I'll repeat what I said back in August when Bob previewed it for me - it's a first-rate 3-D presentation of this movie. On my DLP there is no ghosting and considerable depth - forward and backward. I saw the 35mm dual-strip several times and this is superior in terms of the 3-D effects.

And the sound...the sound of the three channel stereo is remarkable. I was glad that on my system it sounded as good as it did at Bob's. Actually, I'll say it sounded a bit better as I have the three stage speakers behind the screen which locks the sound to the picture exceptionally well. And the dynamic range is huge - I was glad that the house was empty this evening as this gets LOUD.

Haven't checked out the extras but will at some point, but for the price this is a ridiculous bargain. Thanks to Universal for the release and for having the 3-D Archive work its magic on it. More...please!

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Received and watched my copy tonight -- what a fine 3D film. Many shots with real depth -- looking into a mine, different depths of scenery, etc. Well done.

And yet another exploration of the theme "We don't know if alien civilizations exist, but if they do, they're probably better than us because we suck."

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Watched mine and I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said, just my agreement that it looks and sounds absolutely terrific. That the 3D was amazing I expected, but the soundtrack was an unexpected delight - one of the most enjoyable listening experiences I've had in a long while. This would be a great deal at twice the price, it's a steal for what it's at now.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I just watched it. Wow, that was fun. The special effects and action sequences are some of the best ever filmed in 3-D in the 50's. The director and cinematographer took great care to make sure that the 3rd dimension was taken full advantage of. My favorite line in the film is
when George's wife (Kathleen Hughes) is asked if her man came home last night. She says "No. Which is very surprising. He has such a big appetite!"
I'll definitely watch it again sometime in the near future. Congratulations to Greg, Bob, and everyone involved.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
My copy came today -- in incredibly flimsy packaging that led to my disc case / cover being snappned nearly in half. I'm getting a replacement, but not for another week, which really sucks.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My Amazon Canada pre-order is just preparing for shipment, but it should be in our Mailbox Wednesday!

CHEERS! :)
I may have spoken too soon as my order is STILL in the preparing for shipment stage. Thought for sure I would have received an items shipped notice by now! Still, if it goes out later today, I should have it by Thursday - I HOPE! :blink:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I may have spoken too soon as my order is STILL in the preparing for shipment stage. Thought for sure I would have received an items shipped notice by now! Still, if it goes out later today, I should have it by Thursday - I HOPE! :blink:

Sadly, the status of my order remains unchanged on my end, although when I contacted Amazon, I was told my order had been in the "Shipping Soon" stage since yesterday (Monday) afternoon!

Regardless, my Amazon Tracking displays a now in error "Will ship 4 Oct" - Just a tad difficult when it is already October 5! :P

At the moment, I have a weird feeling that something has gone awry with my order, as "Shipping Soon" usually changes to "Shipped" within a few hours with amazon.ca - sure as heck not upwards of 2 days!

I'm really hoping that I won't have to chase after this order further, though I fear this might become necessary, sad to say! :(

EDIT: As of right now, my order, which had been previously designated as "Will ship 4 Oct" now merely indicates the more ambiguous "Being shipped soon." I wouldn't be so irritated if it wasn't already October 5 - UGH!!

EXTRA EDIT: OK, at least now my front order page indicates "Being shipped today," whereas, when I had added my previous edit, it was still in the same "Preparing for shipment" stage it had been in since Monday, so at least now, there's some perceived bit of movement!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
By the way, this is how Amazon Canada is now listing IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953):

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Isn't this a rather odd designation for a newly released item? Either that, or did Amazon Canada perhaps only have the Canadian exclusive until the first run was exhausted?

In any case, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953) appears to have sold out in the Great White North! :thumbsup:

Well Deserved Congratulations To Bob Furmanek & Greg Kintz!! :cheers:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
That message usually means that Amazon has not yet received confirmation of a shipping date from the supplier.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mr. Furmanek is largely responsible for the (apparently) excellent sales of this title so far, as he has been tirelessly promoting it on a bunch of forums as well as on Facebook. For people trying to sell classic films these days, it's become like book sales, where the author is expected to turn up on scores of talk shows and book signings just to assure a break-even point if not profit for the publisher and some residuals for the author. And Bob does this beautifully. Thank you, sir, for helping keep the interest in classic 3D alive! Your partners do the hard work of restoring and perfecting these titles, but you are the one getting the word out, and educating newer generations about the beauty of a good 3D presentation, and how it got to be that way.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Furmanek is largely responsible for the (apparently) excellent sales of this title so far, as he has been tirelessly promoting it on a bunch of forums as well as on Facebook.
Hopefully, a side benefit of that is that Universal releases Revenge Of The Creature in 3-D next year.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Mine has already shipped at the $10.49 price, is currently in Edmonton, and will be at my point tomorrow. I'm not sure what happened with yours, Tony, as I only ordered yesterday.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My copy arrived today. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of reviewing American Horror Story: Hotel and can't take out a couple of hours for it. It'll have to wait for the weekend, I fear.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mine has already shipped at the $10.49 price, is currently in Edmonton, and will be at my point tomorrow. I'm not sure what happened with yours, Tony, as I only ordered yesterday.
This seems to be my year for order hassles. I've only placed 3 in the last 6 months and yet this is my second after the big headache I had with Import CDs earlier this year!

The Amazon CSR couldn't help very much, as their system was in the process of updating, but we were able to arrange for her to update me via email.

For me, the biggest issue is that my order was supposed to ship yesterday, and yet, I am still waiting for this. In my opinion, if Amazon cannot guarantee a specific day, then they should cast a wider net, just as they (usually!) do for delivery dates. At least Francis was able to reassure me the items are attached to my order. Still, I find it frustrating that she wasn't at least able to track them down (Although Amazon U.S. was apparently no problem - BIG HELP!), on account of their amazon.ca system updating, especially as I had counted on these being in the Canada Post tracking system way before now! Based on my past history with orders coming out of Mississauga, I was expecting to receive my order today or tomorrow. As it stands, my order is still a question mark, as far as I'm concerned!

SHEESH! :rolleyes:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Wow, thank you very much Rick. Your comments are certainly appreciated.

Getting the word out is key to building interest and anticipation. With four additional Golden Age features - plus three shorts and one cartoon - still in the Universal vaults, I'm not resting until each and every one is available somewhere on 3-D Blu-ray!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I was at Best Buy browsing the UHD titles, and an employee came up to me and asked if I needed help finding anything. I told him no thanks, and thought that would have been the end of it. He said ok, then said if you want to see something cool check this out.
He walked me over to 'It Came From Outer Space' and told me it is 3D and 2D, and is a great deal.
It certainly was. Considering I was going to pick it up anyway, I had completely forgotten it was a BB exclusive. Just thought it weird that a 20 something employee had me pegged(correctly) as a 3D film fan.
I thanked him and he disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks