It came from beneath the sea on May 6, another Harryhausen classic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Feb 10, 2003.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

2. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that it will include that elusive "Harryhausen Chronicles" documentary. [​IMG]

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

4. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

I have to confess that 'It Came From Beneath the Sea' was never one of my favourite Harryhausen movies ( 'Valley of Gwangi' is my personal favourite ). Not sure why - perhaps the concept of a giant octopus didn't appeal to me as much as the Ymir, Talos, that cyclops or any of those giant beasties from 'Mysterious Island'. Still, it's great to see more of his work getting a release.
    Any news of Gwangi or 'Beast From 20,000 Fathoms' getting the DVD treatment?

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Ach! One of my faves!!! Thanks for the news, Oscar!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Haw, haw!

Yeah...! Gosh, we haven't seen this since... I dunno', the last H.hausen movie released on DVD (!).

7. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

8. Mike Click

Mike Click Stunt Coordinator

I like Ray H. also I have his "7th Voyage of Sinbad", nasty cyclop wanting to keep Baronie(Richard Eyer~Invisible Boy) the genie all 'bottled' up. The evil wizard who needed some eggshell of wrock (bird) for the mix for the princess to regain lost height, played charactor 'humble bellows' in "The Crimsom Pirate" 1952 color with Burt Lancastor, Eva Bartok, Nick Cravat etc.[​IMG]

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Jack

One Million BC is out in the UK

[​IMG]

10. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

11. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

12. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Jack: Warner Bros. produced and holds the rights to THE ANIMAL WORLD, a "documentary" produced by Irwin Allen in 1956. I saw this when I was six years old - one of my first movie experiences - and I was blown away by the Harryhausen dino sequence, so much so that it eclipsed any memory of the rest of the movie for me. I just recall the screen (and theater) turning blood-red when the earthquake occurs and seeing a lot of screaming creatures being sucked into cracks in the earth. Terrifying. Ever since, I was almost obsessive about seeing this film again but, damn, it disappeared without a trace. Never turned up on t.v., 16mm prints (officially) or video. Ever. I wondered why. I thought perhaps that the evolutionary slant of the film might have gotten it into trouble with religious critics and audiences. So, all I had were vivid memories of those eight astounding minutes, some photos in FAMOUS MONSTERS and a set of View Master slides (which I still own). Recently, however, I was able to acquire a VHS tape taken from a 16mm source. The color is badly faded, but the image is sharp, and I found out quickly why this film has been so elusive and why Warner Bros will almost certainly never release it again: it is TERRIBLE!!! Yes, the 8-minute dino sequence is interesting (although quite jerky and primitive beside later Harryhausen), and I can glean some idea of why it enthralled me at age 6 (kids today would laugh at it), but everything else in this jokey, badly-photographed and incredibly DULL docuemntary is a waste of anyone's time. You are truly missing NOTHING from its absence on video save for those 8 short minutes, which I wish Warner Bros would add as a supplement to their eventual Harryhausen DVD releases. The otherwise worthless movie TROG features a few hazy clips from the sequence, if that's of any interest.

13. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Actually, I've heard all the rights to the individual segments have reverted to their respective makers, thus rendering this a legal nightmare for anybody who would want to rerelease it. I agree, though, it seems like the H.hausen/O'Brien stuff could be a supplement somewhere.