What's new

Ist Time Visit to Santa Monica. (1 Viewer)

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to Santa Monica for the first time this weekend and I'm wondering what I should see/do. I've read some other posts on the subject and the pier seems to be the one thing everyone mentions but I'm hoping there's more than that. If I'm looking to do some shopping, dvds, a digital camera maybe, are there any places in particular that I should go to? I'm looking forward to it because I haven't been out west for years so I don't want to miss out on any good stuff. Coming from Canada too makes the shopping more tantalizing. Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Do the Third Street Promenade. And you've mentioned the Pier. Other than that, just get out and go places (the beach, or go farther inland to L.A. and elsewhere).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
For DVD shopping you can hop on the 405 south for about 25-30 miles to Huntington Beach and go to DVD Planet's brick-n-mortar store. The main attraction is 35% off Criterions all the time (at least last I checked), and the largest selection of titles I've ever seen in a B&M store (think 4X the variety of a Best Buy, and lots of foreign/obscure/indie stuff).

As far as what else to do in West L.A., you have to let us know how long you have to sight-see, because I could easily fill up a week's itinerary if you challenged me ;) but that would be pointless if you're only going to be free for a day or two.

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to be there for a good week or so, so I'll take whatever you have. My friend want's to go to 'Disneyland' for a goof, but I think it's a bit of a waste of time. Of course I haven't been there in 20 years.
Thanks for DVD planet, I'm looking for some titles that I don't think I'd find at Best Buy or the like.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
If you're gonna be in town for a week, check out the farmers market on Wed in Santa Monica at Arizona Ave & 2nd St. (about the only things to do in santa monica are the pier, 3rd street shopping and the farmers market on Wed morning).

Of course there is all the Hollywood stuff, not too far from Santa Monica. And you could go on the public studio tours at places like Warner in Burbank.

-V

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I would imagine you could get from Santa Monica to Hollywood and West LA in like 20 minutes. I have several friends that work at 20th century fox and live in Santa Monica- so it's not too far from Santa Monica to the start of the cool stuff.

;)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Santa Monica is on the west side of L.A., somewhat close to Hollywood and downtown. I am certain that you will find more activities than necessary to fill up your week. You also might want to take a stroll down to Venice Beach (just south of Santa Monica) and take a walk on the boardwalk. You'll know you are there when a guy wearing an American flag thong is playing guitar, dancing on crushed glass, and asks if he can read your palm. :)

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad about the lousy weather. I was hoping for some sunshine. I may be stuck inside the whole time!

Do they still have that big drumfest sit-in on the beach? I thought that was pretty cool, especially when everyone gets on the same beat, it just vibrates through your whole body. I do agree that you have to catch a sunset on the beach or two.

Chris Derby

Second Unit
yup, the drum circle on venice beach still goes happens. i usually take all my friends there on sunday nights when they come and visit.

just in case anybody wants to know: from the 405, take washington towards the beach until you hit the sand, park. walk onto the beach. listen. follow the drums. enjoy.

=)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks