issues with work

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Shelly, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Lately some things at work have been really bothering me. I am not sure if its just me or if it really is an issue.

I am currently the highest paid person. I do most of the work and initiate the ideas. I am pretty much the brains of the operation.

Problem is some of the ideas I have initiated have gotten some pretty positive media attention. For whatever reason my employer picks the person below me for all the media attention. When these get published they always give him all the credit. I just don't think this is fair.

I always get a great deal of thanks and many perks. Just this last week I got my own parking spot with my name on it as an example. They always say they think very highly of me.

Problem is it really hurts when I open the newspaper and see the "other" guy getting all the press.

I am looking for some advice on what to do about it? Its frustrating and I don't think it is intentional. If it was I would not get the perks. But it does hurt. It sort of feels like discrimination.

2. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    If being a media spokesperson is in your job description, You should go to your boss and say you would like to be thought of when the next media event/interview comes up. It may be something as simple as an oversight. "Oh, we thought you wouldn't want to do it", etc. As with most things in life, it doesn't hurt to ask.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I would think that they'd say you do enough work, or don't want to take you away from you job for a menial task like media.

Brent

4. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Depending on your industry, being a contact for the media can be extremely demanding and I'm sure your company does not want to distract you with Paparazzi !

However, suggest that it would be nice if in the next media release they put in a quote attributed to you: "Our esteemed scientist, Dr. FeelGood, states this is his best elixir yet !"

On the other hand, your company may want to keep your name quiet to keep their competitors from trying to hire you !

5. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Thanks for the advice.

I am pretty sure they are trying to keep me from being distracted. I am pretty busy as it is and dealing with the media would probably be a bit much.

Also if one thing I am not good at is being a PR person. I am really weak in this regard. I never told this to my employer but they probably figured it out.

It could also be a competitor they are trying to hide me from. 2 Years ago I was layed off from a competitor who was in bankrupcy. They started slicing people no matter who you were. Recently my former employer sent a co-worker I was good friends with after me. He did not get into any details other then things are much better now and they were out of bankrupcy. He said I could get my job back if I wanted it. I declined saying I am making more and having more fun being here.

I told this to my employer and they were a bit concerned about it. A few days later I get my own parking spot in the parking garage at work. I assume they are trying to keep me happy. I admit it worked.