What's new

Issues With My Onkyo TX SR600 Part 2: Sixth Channel Necessity? (1 Viewer)

Scott Adam

Stunt Coordinator
Although my Onkyo TX SR600 offers six channels of amplification for DTS ES and Dolby Digital EX sources, I am only running a Polk 5.1 speaker set up; what is "happening" when I play back a DTS ES soundtrack, say, such as Gladiator, and I do not have that sixth channel? Am I losing any information here? I always prefer choosing the DTS soundtrack over ANY Dolby Digital one because I feel DTS is superior in many ways; but, because I do not have that sixth "back surround" channel (and have set up the receiver to acknowledge there is no back surround channel in the setup menu), is the sound (as I have been told by different people) being kind of "matrixed" into the two back surround channels I have? Is there a "phantom" or "ghost" image appearing if I sit directly between the two back surrounds in which I can hear the sixth channel mixed into the two rear surrounds, or is this just a myth?

And just how important is getting a 6.1 setup? 98 percent of my DVD collection offers no more than 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack playback...only three discs I can think of offhand offer extended channel playback...Gladiator, Exorcist: The Version Youve Never Seen Before and Episode II: Attack of The Clones (the last two Dolby Digital EX)...am I missing something glass-shattering by not having that back surround channel? Is 6.1, 7.1 and higher going to become more and more the norm toward the future? Right now, I am living in a small studio apartment so I dont think I really need the 6.1 capabilities; and what about these different formats---what is the difference between Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES? Are they just both competing six channel setups?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks