What's new

Issues/questions about built-in atsc tuner (1 Viewer)

RobbieF

Grip
My HDTV (Panasonic PT-53WXD63) has a built in tuner and I have a question.

Obviously, with these sets one does not need an external set-top box and expensive component, dvi, firewire, etc... cables to transfer the decoded digital channels to the display.

I am curious how this connection is actually made internally with built in ATSC tuners. It would seem the quality could be better with one less cable/connection. Would the tuner portion typically be on the same circuit board as the display portion with these sets? If not, do you think the manufacturer cheaply does the internal connection or is it comparable to a reasonable component connection?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Since it has DVI, I'll bet it ties in there. I suppose the DVI could also tie into it somehow though instead. Good question.

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Panasonic PT-53WXD63 also. The tuner does a great job. I am able to get ABC, CBS, NBC, WB, FOX and PBS and a all news channel (local news) with a simple set of rabbit ears. The towers are about 70 miles from me. PBS, here in TN, does alot of HD content such as nature, hot air ballons, and the such. It realy will blow you away. The tuner I think is also "linked" to the cable card. There is also a firmware update for the optical (digital) output. I have not had time to do it yet my self. Here is a link if you want to do it or check it out.

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...v/firmware.asp

RobbieF

Grip
Yeah, I am happy with the tuner also. I have been watching the OTA HD content and its great. I don't like the fact that you can't stretch the digital channels when they are displaying 4:3 material. For those that aren't tied into a internal tuner, they have the option of using using another input (such as s-video) so they could use the just/zoom modes. Then they could use component for the widescreen/HD content.

Regarding the CableCARD, do you know if any of the cable companies have implemented the technology yet? I contacted Time Warner here in Houston but haven't received a reply yet. I'm sure if I ordered digital cable from them I would still have to use a set-top box and not be able to use the CableCARD slot.

John, this set doesn't have a DVI port but it does have HDMI. Maybe the internal tuner ties into that like you said?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hard to say which would of been eaiser for them.

Which came first the Tuner or HDMI? They both require a digital and analog relhm. I'll bet one does tie into the other somewhat for display.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks