Issue with the wife regarding DVD-A or CD

Discussion in 'Music' started by anthony_b, Aug 27, 2003.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Background:
    I was at Best Buy yesterday picking up some DVD's with the wife, and she went to the music section to pick up the SAY YOU WILL Fleetwood Mac CD, so I suggested to pick up the DVD-A for $1 more and I told her that it was in 5.1 and it was recorded in HI-REZ. Then she asked if it would play in the car ?...I said NO, then she said "I don't want it then !!" ...[​IMG]

Which brought me to this question : How many sales do you think DVD-A has loss due to the format not being portable ?

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I think your wife may prefer Super Audio hybrids which would play in the car, but not at high resolution.

I suspect we will see Super Audio mobile units before long, particularly now that combined DSD/PCM chips for universals are coming and are inexpensive.

I have only seen a Pioneer car DVDA player so far, so the hirez options in general are limited.

It is hard to say how many sales have been lost by either format as the car market has not really been targeted so far.

The car is a pretty good environment for 5.1 sound ironically as acoustics and systems can be custom tailored for the interior dimensions and absorptive properties of the materials in the seats, etc. The Lexus Levinson systems and others take these into account.

4. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

6. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I have a DVD-A player in the car and I love it. I was also having a problem justifying my DVD-a purchases and needing to buy the CD as well. When I cam e across a Panasonic car deck with DVD-A and a small but helpful center channel built in I jumped on it.

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Doug, how flexible is the calibration for your DVD-A player? Does it sound good from most seats, or just the driver's?

10. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

11. Michael St. Clair

Is there a 'phantom center' mode? I'd probably rather have no center at all than a crappy one.

12. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

You can turn the center off and I tried this but found the center added enough to leave it on. It is pretty good at handeling vocals but not much else.

13. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

15. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Lee: I absolutely agree. I think companies like Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon and others are going to extend the trend toward cheap(er) universal players for the home. How quickly this results in a larger market share for hi-rez is hard to predict. Certainly, Pioneer is in an excellent position to bring universal playback to car audio.

The only problem will be putting all those format logos on the head units! I can see it now: the Pioneer Universal Head Unit, with mp3/WMA/DVD-A/DVD-V/CD/SACD/HDCD.. Ah, what the heck, throw Ogg Vorbis in there as well!

16. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

17. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

18. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

Hopefully dvde-a will have a redbook layer soon and you won't have to buy the music twice. What will the recording idustry do if we buy an album once and never buy it again in another format? [​IMG]

19. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

My wife, plays her favorite CD's while she's commuting to work an hour each way, so DVD-A was not an option for her. That kind of sucks because, I don't see myself making two purchases for the same music. If it were me, I'd buy the dvd-a or the single layer SACD (If the hybrid were not available)to listen at home. I think she had a valid reason for purchasing the CD because during her commute to work is when she listens to most of her music. I just would like to add that I own machines that play both formats, I wish DVD-A would go hybrid some day.

20. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'm sitting here wanting to make this discussion different somehow. But I'm drawing a blank. Instead of wallowing in the same back-and-forth pattern these threads tend to spiral into, let's go somewhere else.

The way to do it is to point to the bigger issue, which has always been there.

For example, back in the day when I was deciding between a pair of Rectilinear IIIs or Acoustic Research AR-3as hobbyist audio was as fringe-level a pursuit as building radio-controlled airplanes. For most people, it was something they had heard about or even heard for themselves. It was strictly a niche.

Most people listened to portable "record players" or huge "stereo consoles."

The same attitude exists today with serious audio. It's not a common pursuit.

And the mass market has a lot of power.