What's new

Issue with Panasonic - Power/Hour Glass problems. (1 Viewer)

MarkB

Grip
I'm hoping to get some ideas of what may be the issue with my TV. It is a direct view Panasonic flat screen. It is from the Tau family, but I don't currently have the model number.

Current Problem: Once powered on, the image is not displayed across the whole screen area. It is almost like a computer monitor that has not been adjusted to use the whole screen. Probably between 1-2" on all sides. The amount that it is "shrunk" varies depending on the brightness/color of the image. When the image is dark the it is only about 1/2 inch around the outside, but when the image is bright, it will increase to 2+". Also, on scenes with lots of color (particularly yellow or white) the screen will take on a distinct hourglass shape. Once again, this varies depending on what is on the display.

I have tried the geometric corrections on the set and it does not have ANY impact on the image.

It seems as though this is related to the power supply and the amount of power required to produce the image, but I am just guessing.

Previously this set had problems that it would simply power itself off and not power back on. After 4-5 trips to the shop that problem seems to be fixed but I'm guessing this could be related.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
I know this isn't a true fix, but I wonder if turning the contrast down would help reduce the symptoms. Reducing contrast would lower average picture level, meaning the set won't change the size and shape of the picture as much when the images change on the screen.
It sounds pretty severe, though, so while I hope this makes it watchable, I can't say I'm too optimistic about it.

MarkB

Grip
Chad, thanks for the idea and I actually already tried that. It had minimal impact, but will hopefully buy a little more time.

Dan, Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. It looks like I'll be going back to the shop for the 5th or 6th time on a TV that's 15 months old. Unfortunately, this one is out of the warrenty period so I question if it'll end up being worth it.

Do TV companies (Panasonic in particular) have any kind of a "lemon" policy? This set has truly been a nightmare.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks