Issue with new 43TX and sub output.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Justin H, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

Maybe someone can lend some insight:

I received my new 43TX just this week and have been fidgeting with it. Here's the problem I've encountered. During setup everything appears ok, setup for a THX system, subwoofer to yes, sub levels at reasonable level. The internal test tones all work and I get output from the sub. Then when I pop in a DVD I get no sub output. The receiver shows that it's receiving an LFE signal and the light goes green on my SVS (which means its receiving something b/c I have it set on auto) but I get no output.

I've checked everything, sub gain level, all wires and connections. I'm sure its not the sub. It seems all is well with output from the DVD player (its an RP82, simple setup). Obviously the receiver has the ability to send a sub signal (the internal test tones work) but not during DVD (or CD) playback...

stumped [​IMG]

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Make sure you don't have midnight mode enabled.

I was watching a movie late one night in midnight mode, then the next day i replaced my Shiva sub w/ an AV12. I recalibrated using the internal test tones and then popped in Fight Club to check out the plane crash seen, and I was shocked to hear NO bass. I spent about an hour diagnosing before i remembered having midnight mode on the night before. Anyway, I disabled midnight mode and everything was as it should be.

Also, make sure Dynamic Range compression and Bass Peak limiting aren't enabled (both in the expert menu). These settings could be causing the problem as well.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. Justin H

Good idea, sounds like the same situation. I'll give it a shot.

4. Paul Sawyer

Paul Sawyer Auditioning

I have the 45tx and had the same problem. Mine was not the midnight mode, it was truely the sub level. Even though the test tones played the sub, it wouldn't play during a movie.

I had to manually set the sub, then all was fine.

5. Justin H

Well unfortunately it wasn't midnight mode, as much as I tried to will it so. It's not the sub either because I sat there with Star Wars II on and my SVS in my lap crankin up the gain and nada, nothing. I get a very slight vibration from the driver with the gain all the way up and thats it, nothing approaching normal.

I've run through the surround setup process countless times now too. I'm really not sure what it could be. Is there a way to fully reset the receiver and get back to square one? That's about all I can think of at this point.

6. Bob Friend

Bob Friend Stunt Coordinator

From another forum regarding a similar problem...

"I think the culprit is your 43TX where the "bass peak limiter" may have been set causing it not to send the appropriate bass to your subwoofer.

What you need to do is (these are 45TX instructions but I think they should work for the 43TX as well). Go to the receiver menu, click on Surround setting options -> Expert -> Bass Peak Limiter -> Setting Cancel.

This should re-introduce the "WOW" factor. Basically the receiver limits the bass output to prevent the subwoofer from bottoming through this setting. Cancelling it prevents it from limiting it."

7. Justin H

I actually checked that issue last night as well. I have the bass peak limiter off. Thanks for the idea though Bob.

8. Kam_A

Kam_A Extra

I had the same problem with my 43tx and I figured that I accidently set the Bass Peak Level to '0'. If this doesn't work try resetting your reciever.

9. Justin H

Alright...well...a couple of these :b :b :b are in order. I played around with the settings and apparently the --- settign for "bass peak level" doesn't disable the feature it disables the bass.

...phew

thanks all for helping. I knew it had to be one of the settings. [​IMG]

...off I am to Movieland [​IMG]

10. Kam_A

Kam_A Extra

Glad to know it worked. Happy listening.