What's new

Issue with Firefox (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ever since I upgraded my Firebox browser to version 1.5.0.3 I am unable to see any banners that are loaded through j ava s cript (sorry for the spaces but the forum software with take it out if spelled out right).

At any rate is there an option in this new version of Firefox that will allow you to view banners loaded using js? It worked just fine before the upgrade.

Thanks,
Parker

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I guess it sensors spelling out js, even when not tagged. Anyway. Not sure I am encountering your problem. Is it possible you have bad js code?

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Do you have any extensions installed? You'd want to make sure they're updated, as well as Java, of course. I haven't noticed any problems with any sites.

Are you aware of the Java Options in Tools -> Options -> Content?

I have "enable Java" & "enable JavaSCRlPT" checked.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Yes. I am running the latest java version for Firefox and have both Java and ********** enabled. As I said above this didn't start to happen until I upgraded to 1.5.0.3 and later and I am not the only one with the problem.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Have you tried explaining the situation on the Firefox forums? I did a search for JavaS** (you can type it in full on their forum) which did not turn up a thread regarding it. Usually when it's a big issue, a thread starts up with several dozen responses very quickly...

You can check out their forums at:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

Be sure to post a website as an example of where the problem is happening. Hope that helps.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Personal gut reaction: why isn't he just thrilled to avoid the banners? Some of us go so far as to install Privoxy to get rid of that crud. ;) Of course, being site owner of a site that needs the income from those darn banners I'm sure your view on banners differs from mine. :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Kimmo:

As the admin of this site I want to be able to see what others see and before I installed 1.5.0.3 I could see all the banners on the forum. Now with this current release I can't and I wonder why.

Greg:

I posted on the Mozilla forums a couple of days ago with no response.

Parker

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I'm probably reaching here, but maybe there is a setting in the browser to disable ads? My firewall software has this option.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Parker, try putting the java script in the PHP file inside a script tag. Because you are calling a PHP file, it's possible the browser doesn't know it's supposed to be reading js.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Parker, are you running any extensions within Firefox? Maybe one has an issue with the new version. You could try uninstalling each of your extensions to see if it corrects the problem.

FYI, I am running version 1.5.0.3 on three different PC's (2 XP Home, 1 Win2000) without any issues. I received a Firefox message during the upgrade of each stating that it was checking all extensions for compatibility. Maybe one of your extensions failed there?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am just running the program as is with no extensions.

Andrew:

That is really odd. Both Ron and I have the same problem with our site not showing us the banners with this latest version of Firefox and it only started when we upgraded to this latest version.

Joe:

The java script is included in a script tag already.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
You're sure you're not doing something funny with those banners and how they load? In IE, I do see a lot of banners on the front page, but many of them vanish in both my Firefox 1.5.0.3 and my usual browser, Opera 9 beta.

My old Opera 8 install (Opera 8.51) that I haven't used in some time does display all the banners.

I mean, could you be doing something that has been discouraged until now and is now beginning to break in the newer browsers or something like that?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am using the same code I always have. I can see the banners in IE, Opera 8.54 and Netscape 8.1 using either the Firefox or IE emulations. I just can't see them in the newest version of Firefox. You would think that if there was something in the code that would break the display it would effect at least one of the other browsers especially Netscape since it is based on Firefox.

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same problem and I uninstalled Firefox totally from my computer then downloaded the latest version, did the "typical" install and it solved my problem.
I had to redo my bookmarks though...

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Waren:

Yeah, I did that too. I unintalled my Firefox and did a typical install and still have the problem.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I doubt if this is caused by a corrupted install, but I could be wrong.

Either way I doubt if the HTF guys are happy with it working on their machines only; the whole point is making sure the users see the banners. :)

I for one did go the upgrade path to 1.5.0.3 and I can't see the banners, and I would suspect a rather vast percentage of Firefox users have done the same. If indeed the fact that 1.5.0.3 wasn't done in a clean install is the culprit, HTF has a problem. Making the entire Internet do a system restore doesn't really fly. ;)

Rommel_L

Second Unit
The install is correct. I'm seeing what Parker are seeing - no banners, just empty cells when viewing the main forum page in FF. But it is fine in IE...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks