What's new

Issue with DVD player in my HT (1 Viewer)

moleman3

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Hi,

I purchased a samsung home theater system a couple years back, and have been having issues with the DVD player. The home theater is a 5.1 system. The problem is that the DVD player won't read many disks, and just kind of sucks in general (the loading mechanism gets jammed, etc). It is a strange dvd player that loads vertically and has touch-screen buttons.

On to my question...

I'd like to replace the DVD player, however the speaker system itself works fine. The problem (as you probably know, I'm not well informed with home theater systems) is that all the speakers connect to the sub, which in turn connects thru the DVD player. So my quesiton is, can I simply replace the DVD player and have it still connect to the woofer/speakers? If so, where do I find such dvd players?

Thanks a bunch. This has been bothering me for a while now!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Paul.

Without knowing the model of your Samsung, it is hard to be definitive. I suspect that this will be difficult to overcome, but give us the model number and someone will check it out.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
At the least, you will probably have to keep the DVD Player, which is actually the head unit for the entire system. You will just use another DVD Player to actually play DVDs.

You can't take one piece out of a system like this, and you also may not be able to add anything else. In the end, you may have to just junk it for a more functional system.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
I think you're out of luck. That's not just a DVD player, that's the systems DVD player/receiver. Additionally, the subwoofer (as you noticed) contains all of the amplifiers and the system doesn't have any inputs (one stereo, one optical) for you to hook up a different DVD player. You could probably still use the speakers (not the sub), but you'll need to trash everything else and get a DVD player AND receiver (and new sub, probably).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If it has an optical input you should be able to use that for audio, and then run the video straight to the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks