isolation devices

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Rich, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Has anyone tried the Vibrapod isolation devices? under DVD/cd player in particular? Any noticeable improvement with DVD/CD audio playback?

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I use Vibrapods under my center channel. They are OK under equipment too. My personal preference would be Bright Star Audio's Isonode feet (little stick on things that go under the equipment feet). I have them under my Pioneer Elite DV-47A in the bedroom system. They are $12.50 for a set of 4 and and not quite as much as Vibrapods. I also have other isolation components and as far as a bang for the buck goes the Isonode feet are pretty good. I'm sure there is info at their website, www.brightstaraudio.com/

4. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Have them under my DVD and CDP. Effective, especially in cleaning up the bass .... i.e tighter, faster, punchier after the pods.

BOK

5. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated.

6. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Mark,

Keep in mind that there are many one time ex-pod users who say that the pods muddied things up, or worse, when they were installed.

A search in AA @Tweaks forum will give you all the bloody history. It is always YMMV.

I have used them under my mains and sub when I had my HT upstairs in my living room; and the room had oak hardwood floors which loved the pods. I had bass response which dropped a candy dish off a glass shelf in a adjoining room. Those were the bass-head days ;^)
    They have their application. But under a DVD/CDP things get more discriminating. You will hear a difference IMMEDIATELY !
    Up to you to hear.... and judge, if it is where you want to go with your transports.
    I have a 2" solid granite slab under the pods..... and I have a gutted Brightstar Airmass platform (I filled it with sand and put new rubber footer on) under the pods for the CDP.

It is never the "pods" in and of themselves, IMO..... it's the rack, the shelving, any damping applied to both, ... etc

And make sure if you pop for the pods, that you get the weight/pod ratio correct. To firm of a pod, or to weak of a pod for the weight distribution defeats all that you are after.
    Too bad you don't have a very heavy DVD/CDP as I have a bunch of pods I will give to you to see if they work. I have three #5 pods, six #4 pods, and eight #3 pods.

This offer applies to Mark, so resist you other freeloaders ;^))))))

Let me know if the pods I have can fit into your application. Usually four pods per component (CDP/DVD).

BOK

PS ----

This may apply.... I use about 5-6 pounds of sand bags on my DVD player... so add the weight and see if my offer fits your weight distribution. OH!, the sand is a nice with/ without tweak ... a la Jon Risch. A must try so long as you double bag and use the Glad brand ;^). If you hear the difference, then it is a free tweak. It dampens, absorbs vibrations from the transport mechanism... etc. If your DVD/CDP is out of warranty then you can venture into popping the cover of said components and damping the chassis, transport mechanism, crystal occillator, power supply components... a la Dan Wright.

Hey, this is the tweakers forum isn't it ? We can't fudge over cables all day can we ?

7. GregoryKrolczyk

I use a Sicomin platform under my CD player and the difference is incredible. For the rest of my audio equipment I use Audioquest Sorbothane pucks - kinda old school, but they too work to clean things up.

I hear Black Diamond Racing gear is dashit! But just can't seem to take the plunge.

I am curious: Has anyone noticed much of a visual difference using isolation under DVD players? I placed some Audioquests under my LD player long ago, but didn't really notice much of a difference.

8. Dan Pawlowski

Dan Pawlowski Stunt Coordinator

I didnt notice any dif in video when i isolated my dvd from vibrations either. But who can spot one or two pixels missing or altered from 500 or more??

9. GregoryKrolczyk

10. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Brian,

Thanks for the great info and especially for the generous offer. I sprung for 4 of the vibrapods yesterday to see if they would help. Should arrive later today. Heck for the price of a decent DVD wheres the harm...

I'll into some of the info you mentioned as its one area that I have not spent any time/money on. I do have decent stands so I've made a start in the right direction.

I've done the cables and placement tweaks now I'm looking for more projects to get the most from my components. If nothing else it keeps me out of trouble:)