Isolating speaker mounts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Schmencke, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Martin Schmencke

I'm working on a project for a client who's SO insists that the speakers be bracket mounted to the walls. They live in an apartment building where I can tell just from the few times I have been there, that there will be a "noise issue" from the neighbors. Does anyone know of a source of sound isolating speaker mounts ? Hopefully something with some sort of "universal mount", with some "shock absorption" to isolate the vibrations from reaching the stud which I will have to screw the mounts into.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Martin,

Someone else might be able to point you in the right direction, but I have never heard of mounts like this. It seems like a really tricky endeavor, since the speaker would have to be totally isolated from the mounting bracketry. Typically, substances with sound isolation properties are physically soft and compliant - certainly not sturdy enough to hold a speaker up on a wall. Alternately, substances with sound deadening properties are heavy, bulky and dense - like concrete. Neither is easliy compatable with a system for wall-mounting speakers.

Even if such mounting brackets exist, I fail to see the need for them. Speakers that have significant bass output are typically too large and heavy to be wall mounted. In addition, any noise issues between neighbors sharing a common wall comes from the sub more than the satellite speakers.

If you can’t get any other recommendations here, I suggest building small wall-mounted shelves for the speakers. It would not be hard to isolate the speakers from the shelf. Putting the speakers on stands away from the wall would give even better results.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Martin Schmencke

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Here are a couple of quotes from the site: