Isolating Power cords from Video cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Dunlop, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    I have a custom made corner entertainment unit. I have a Denon 1601, Digital Cable box and S-VHS vcr under the TV. All my video and audio cables are of course right next to my power cables for all 4 components (my DVD is the only power cable that I can separate). With not a lot of room behind the receiver to work with, is there any shielding material that i can put the power cables in to isolate them?
    I was thinking of some tubular, open ended material like PVC insulation (ie. sliced down the side, open ends)
    Thanks in advance for all the suggestions
    Paul

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Why are you worried about it, Paul? Is it causing obvious problems with your picture or sound?

This is why they use shielded cables for audio and video signals, to prevent interference from EMI. Shielding power cables is redundant. There is really no good reason to even separate power and signal cabling, unless they run parallel for long distances.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

P.S. Welcome to the Forum!

3. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    Thanks for the welcome - i've been reading for a while, but just recently joined.
    I don't have too many video problems, but I have read a number of posts that said the power cables should be separated from audio/video cables.
    Sometimes the video quality of my digital cable is not so great, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something I could fix.
    Thanks for the reply.

4. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

If possible, keep your power cables about 2 inches or more away from other cables. Shielded or not there is a detrimental effect. Whether the effect is large or small depends upon the quality of your power and other cables.

It really does pay to take the time to route all cables carefully.

rw