isobel campbell & mark lanegan > ballad of broken seas

Discussion in 'Music' started by kamyiu, Mar 10, 2006.

1. kamyiu

kamyiu Stunt Coordinator

it's pretty cool. it's got this lee & nancy kinda vibe. isobel's voice is oh so sweet, i love it. i kinda wish she didn't leave belle & sebastian. i'm not as familiar with mark lanegan apart from the odd screaming trees song, but there are a couple tracks where lanegan's voice reminds me of tom waits or nick cave, which is a good thing.

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I presume this is out now? I feel Lanegan is one of the most criminally-underrated musicians of the past decade. While I really dig the Screaming Trees, Lanegan's solo acoustic albums are simply mindblowing...

3. kamyiu

kamyiu Stunt Coordinator

yeah, it's been out for about a month or so. i've had mp3s for quite a while, finally picked up a copy the other day.

www.isobelcampbell.com

a friend of mine is like you, he really loves lanegan's solo stuff. i shall have to check it out. anything recommended for starters?

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Thanks for the link to her tour dates. So far, I've found one of the songs online, and like what I hear. I'll have to pick up this album next weekend.

As for Lanegan's solo work, I personally feel Scraps At Midnight is his best (it has an incredible closing track), followed closely by his covers album I'll Take Care Of You, which is a collection of little-known gems from the 50s through the 70s. His earlier albums suffered from sub-par production and an incohesive vision, but by the time he made Scraps, he seemed to put it all together. If you're in a rockier mood, the Screaming Trees' Dust is easily the band's best - boasting very solid production and some damn good tunes...

5. kamyiu

kamyiu Stunt Coordinator

sweet, thanks for the recommendations!

6. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    Huge Lanegan fan (for a variety of reasons). Seen Mark live more than a half dozen times, ditto for Screaming Trees, along with Mark with QOTSA.

Tim, Scraps is actually my least favorite of all his albums, but to each their own, no right or wrong answers. The Winding Sheet is still my favorite, but takes the right mood to listen to. I'm also really partial to Field Songs. (Although, I love most of his solo work.)

In terms of Screaming Trees (for rock), Tim's right, Dust will be the easiest album to get into. Sweet Oblivion (known for the Singles soundtrack, track "Nearly Lost You") is also solid, though not as all around as Dust. I like Buzz Factory a lot if you're into a harder rock with a good amount of screaming and guitar squealing!

I'm glad someone started a post up on him and the new collaboration with Campbell.

Doug