Isobarik for home theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel X, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Joel X

Joel X Stunt Coordinator

I have two 12" Orion eXtremes that I pulled from my car to make room for my single new Stryke 12

2. I would keep the orions in the car and use the AV-12 for HT.

3. Joel X

Joel X Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for the tightest bass possible. I share a wall with my neighbor and I do not crank it much. Also it will be tuned with a Behringer FBD. Though the Win ISD model was not ideal with a sealed enclosure, posibly due to the very limited T/S parameters that were in the database, I figure that the BFD would take care of those details since I think technically the room has an even larger effect on the frequency response. I am not quite sure how to get all the T/S for these things if anyone has an idea on how to find them please let me know.

Judging by the first response to this thread, isobarik is not very remarkable. Though I found some comments that make it seem like it is good, I do value the opinions of contributors at this forum and would put out less effort if I knew that there was not enough gain to be worth the time. I should also add, somehow my comment got cut off and I just noticed; it should make note of how massively well designed I think the Stryke is and that it is only staying in my car because I can play that as loud as I want and it takes up far less room in a sealed box.

It is exactly the below view that makes me want to use this alignment.

"Because the rear driver is loaded by the sealed volume of the enclosure and the front driver is loaded by a sub-enclosure pressurized by the rear driver, their resonant frequencies will be different. The loose coupling between the drive elements allows these dissimilar resonances to damp each other, producing very high quality bass that is near-aperiodic. I really like the tight, highly defined sound of Isobarik bass systems." -Widescreen Review

My plan at this point is to go with about 6'^3 sonosub with the drivers facing each other. All suggestions are welcome especially from those whom have trekked the isobarik path.

4. the AV has T/S parameters more suited to HT than the other driver.

Isobaric is no more "tighter than a single sealed driver.

ALL isobaric does is allow 1/2 the volume requirments of a single driver, but at the following expense: loss of potential efficiecy (of 2 drivers), 2x driver cost, amplification problems/power loss (2 4ohm drivers can only be wired 2ohms parallel which is not stableon most amps, 8ohms series which is inefficient, or 4ohms/amp which then you have to be really carefull of phase/signal matching),and a way more complicated enclosure...I am sure there are others.

As for the quote above, that only applies to 1 of several loadings. If you are using a dual chamber isobaric, you do have 2 somewhat different resonace frequencies which then means for 2 drivers with 2 different phase/GDresponces to be summed such that 1+1 is not always 2 but sometimes

6. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

The word is _isobariC._

I think it's moronik how a simple misspelling became so mainstream.

Oh, and did I mention I'm Arachnophobik?

All audio fanatiks unite to prevent this from continuing...

7. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Joel,
    I used the isobaric configuration in a car sub. I happened to have a bunch of 12", 8ohm woofers that modeled flat to 29Hz in about 3 cu ft. With the isobaric, I was able to use half the enclosure size and fit it into the hatch area. As a bonus, the 4ohm load was better matched to my car amp. It worked very well; the deep cutoff plus cabin gain made for some truly spectacular clean, tight bass. It took a bunch of MDF 12" rings to glue together and make a 5" long "tube" to mount the drivers in tandem. It was a fun project, but Anthony is right... in most cases you're better off with a single driver.

8. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Rory....Now tackle, a lot not alot and bass not base. LOL