What's new

iso-baric (1 Viewer)

Kevin Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
Can any sub be used for this? and if so how does it get wired? does it get wired so both the cones are goin in one direction or should they be in phase and be going twardds each other? i would also like to know how iso-baric works

Thanks,,,,Kevin

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Yes, any woofer can be used in an isobaric configuration. They must be wired so that the cones move in the same direction, which means you must wire them out of phase. This can be done in series or parallel, depending on which kind of load your amp prefers. Do parallel if at all possible. I have tried both the 'clamshell' mounting, where the woofers cones are facing each other, and the opposite, with the magnets facing each other, both with great results. The clamshell method can make for a slightly smaller box, but only very slightly, as either way you are still looking at the depth of two woofers stacked together. The clamshell method would be nice if you have a fancy cast frame woofer motor that you'd like to display.

If you were to wire it such that the cones were going toward each other, they would cancel out and you'd get very little sound. I've never gotten too deep into the whys of isobaric, but I do know that it works and works well, at least when configured in push-pull as I have described above.

Aaron Gilbert

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Very roughly, in an isobaric configuration you can use a box 1/2 as big as you'd need with one driver. However, you'll get the same output as you would have with 1 driver in a box twice the size.

The only reason to do isobaric is if you absolutely half to get the smaller enclosure. Note that the smaller enclosure will also typically mean you will no longer have ported as, and you'll have to go with a sealed design.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks