Isn't this dangerous to you amp and speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Jan 4, 2001
    A friend of mine has a Parasound 855(?) five channel amp and a Lexicon DC-1. He wanted to make use of the side speaker option but only had 5 channels to work with, so he wired, I guess in phase is the term, 2 4 ohm dipoles along with 2 8 ohm rear bipoles from the 2 rear channels he has on his amp. If this makes sense guys, is it possible? He seem to have no apparent problems thus far although he has not turned it up to ref. yet. I warned him that I thought it would kill his amp and/or his speakers. True??
  2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Feb 5, 2001
    Hmmm. I guess it depends on what you mean by "in phase". If he wired:
    From amplifier - to speaker 1 -
    From speaker 1 + to speaker 2 -
    From speaker 2 + to amp +
    Then he's not going to hurt anything. The speakers will see different signals since they have different impedance curves. But nothing should blow up.
    If he wired:
    From amp - to speaker 1 -
    From amp + to speaker 1 +
    From amp - to speaker 2 -
    From amp + to speaker 2 +
    Then he may have problems. He should find out if the Parasound is 2 ohm stable. If not ... I wouldn't risk the amp by doing this.
  3. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

Aug 22, 2000
    For one he is just splitting a signal and not using the lexicon for what the extra channels are designed for.
    Two, you can wire speakers "in series" or "parallel" one way will half the impeadance and the other will double it. I keep forgetting which is which. If halved it could very well damage the amp.
    Rich G.
  4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Jun 29, 2000
    In series raises the impedance (doesn't absolutely double it, but close) and parallel lowers is (again, doesn't halve it, but it's about the same).
    If he just put two sets of cables in the binding posts of the amp or ran a set of cables to the first speaker, then just ran another cable from there to the second speaker, he will probably have overload problems somewhere down the line. If the amp is stable to 2 ohms....maybe, maybe not, but it's usually not the best idea to wire that way.
    If he ran amp + to 1st speaker +, then first speaker - to 2nd speaker + then 2nd - to amp -, that's series and won't hurt the amp.
    It will cut the signal strength considerably, but won't cause any problems.