What's new

Isn't it about time for The African Queen? (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
haggai's right, brain fart, should be kibosh
I've no idea why I said kibbutz, maybe I'd eaten too much at Canters that night and had yiddishy words on the brain. :P

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
It's been available in Australia for years. My father purchased it for me a long time ago.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How does the copyright system work that another company can import an R1 NTSC copy of The African Queen into the U.S. without Paramount's approval?

LarryH

Supporting Actor

Believe it or not, I think the term you had in mind is kibosh.

Google this to find an interesting article on worldwidewords.org.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
Personally would love to get ahold of African Queen - it's one of the lower numbers on my want list. Translation: it's been there a long time. The only one that's been on the list longer is Forbidden Planet and oh, look! Next week!
So it's a matter of time. Hopefully Paramount is not waiting for the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray format is settle itself into one or the other before releasing it.

Egbert Souse

Agent
Real Name
Scott
Does anyone know if this great film will ever be released on DVD?Almost every other Bogart film has been released,but not this one,One of his best,and Katherine Hepburns best,IMO.Just curious.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Back in 1961, James Coburn and Glynis Johns filmed a pilot for a series to be based on THE AFRICAN QUEEN that was aired on "The Dick Powell Theater." It was called SAFARI. There were also rumors of a remake in the late sixties to star Lee Marvin and Doris Day. It would be nice if Paramount took the initiative to record a commentary involving the participation of Theodore Bikel and Peter Viertal.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Charles, there was a TV movie remake of African Queen with Warren Oates and Mariette Hartley.

Paramount seems uninterested in its catalogue of older films. However, since they have apparently licensed Lindsay Anderson's If and Billy Wilder's Ace In The Hole to Criterion, is it too much too hope for that they'll also license African Queen to them, also?

Corey

Screenwriter
A Criterion version of The African Queen would be marvelous. I know it would just be packed with extras.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I just hope Paramount does better with providing quality elements to Criterion than they did to Anchor Bay (Quiet Man etc, they weren't allowed access to materials to produce new transfers and had make due with the old tape transfers)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
The problem is compounded now because since Lionsgate has taken over for Artisan in handling the Republic library, they're not much interested in improved transfers. While LIVE NUDE GIRLS did get a new 16x9 presentation, and a similar treatment is promised for THE MONSTER SQUAD, Lionsgate reissued FREEWAY in the same non-anamorphic transfer from the old disc, and Charlton Heston's JULIUS CAESAR, a scope film, is still panscanned in its new DVD release.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Are you sure Freeway is non-anamorphic? The disc isn't out yet, but the back cover on DVDEmpire shows it being 16x9 enhanced.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
This is the first I've heard of the disc being anamorphic; everything else I had read suggested it was merely a repackaging of the old disc.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Another year has passed with no word. By far, the most anticipated unreleased title for me. I believe someone once said that this will be the 'last' of the AFI list to be released -- which leaves the Jazz Singer ('27) yet to be released next... any word on that title?

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks