What's new

Isle of Dogs (2018) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Box Office Mojo says the new theater count this weekend is 1,930, so hopefully that gets it out to most of you who are still waiting for it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Isle of Dogs" was a fun and interesting kids-movie for adults. It wasn't quite "amazing" but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The only other Wes Anderson movies I've seen is The Fantastic Mr. Fox. I'm interested now in watching what I've missed.

(If you have an Alamo Drafthouse nearby, they have an especially good pre-roll for the movie. It's curated and informative, a step above the typical random silly stuff for big movies and far better than the randomness they can pull out for a small, niche movies.)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Right now, I'm annoyed. This film still hasn't made it to my local theatre even though trailers for it were playing in front of several movies that I saw theatrically. Meanwhile, f***ing garbage like Super Troopers 2 gets brought in.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I was never able to see this in the theatre. It never made it to the local shit stain we call a theatre. I was finally able to see it on VOD. It was another great piece of animated work from Wes Anderson. Maybe, not quite as good as "The Fantastic Mister Fox" but close. The story is simple, but what elevates this film is the dialogue and character interactions of the dogs. Outside of the people at LAIKA, Anderson is probably the most unique voice in North American animation today.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I watched this last night on blu-ray. From the minute it started I had a grin on my face and smiled the whole way through. Even had a couple of outburst chuckles. Of course, it's all because of Wes Anderson's style with his signature look, tone, and pace but I was also amused by the voices of Cranston, Norton, Murray, Goldblum, Balaban, and Schrieber as the crew of dogs. Johansson was kind of wasted in a role that had about three lines but I found Gerwig entertaining as the exchange student fighting for social justice against the mayor. Overall I enjoyed it a lot but I also love everything else that Anderson has done except I haven't seen his other animated feature Fantastic Mr. Fox yet.

I saw this during the week and had mixed feelings. I thought it was amusing and entertaining, but also far too long for what it was. I wish that shorts were still popular and had a viable distribution method. This film would have worked brilliantly as a 30 minute short, but I feel that it had worn out its welcome somewhat by the 100 minute mark.

Seeing as though the film is 99 minutes that must have hit the spot! ;)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My wife and I really liked Isle of Dogs as well. Typical quirky, dry, and slightly outrageous Anderson. The animation is spectacular! If you liked this film you really must see Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My wife and I really liked Isle of Dogs as well. Typical quirky, dry, and slightly outrageous Anderson. The animation is spectacular! If you liked this film you really must see Fantastic Mr. Fox.
I bought both of those films from iTunes. I need to sit down one day and do a double-feature viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks