What's new

ISF Video Calibrations:LA & San Diego, New Eng, North East, South East, FL, Chicago, Detroit, Mi (1 Viewer)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys
I am now back in Maine again (for another 4 days), then off to MI, IL, WI etc

Ralph, I didnt receive your email. I will now send you one :)

Regards

Gregg

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a Panny 47" RPTV this week; it's being delivered right after Christmas. My question is, how "worth it" is the calibration? The full monty (CRT RPTV calibration + HDTV + Duvetyne) will cost just short of what I paid for the set itself (got my Panny for a couple hundred under cost) so that's a pretty big deal.

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

Don't mean to dodge the question, but really, only you can answer how "worth it" it is. Depending on the factory condition, you'll probably get 70-80% of possible performance out of the box using Video Essentials or Avia (this is purely theoretical as performance is subjective). If you're willing to pay for a calibration to get that final 20%, then it is worth it for you. A calibration will not be a 100% improvement that will just bowl you over. Rather it is about subtle improvements that will stand the constant scrutiny of continual viewings.

For me personally, I had my 65H80 calibrated by Michael TLV a couple years ago. I wasn't very ecstatic about the results at first because I was expecting results that NTSC just could not deliver. But the more I watched the more I noticed all the little details that distinguish a calibrated set from a one that is not - most notable being the color timing, but there is also proper focus and convergence. I can honestly say that no other RPTV I see anywhere can match the image quality of my set, and I attribute that specifically to the calibration.

So you have to ask yourself if getting that last 15-20% of performance is worth the cost of a calibration. For me it most definitely was, but for others maybe not. You may want to wait until you get your set and see how happy you are with it. Buy Video Essentials or Avia and set it up and see what it looks like. If it is better than you could have imagined, then maybe you'll be satisfied without one. But if you absolutely want the best picture possible out of your set, then you owe it to yourself to check into a calibration.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hmm,

I dont normally line the Panny sets, so the cost for a "full meal deal" calibration on them is $50 towards travel and $475. About 40%? of the cost. Panny's are about the cheapest HD RPTV set made, they also look the worst out of the box. So for $475 (plus $50 travel), you can have one of the best looking HD RPTV sets, period. Your decision :)

Regards

Gregg

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Gregg,

I just got my 530HDI. I'd be interested in having it done in the Chicago area in April. What's the next step and can you ballpark the price?

Thank you much.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Perry

My pricing is fairly straight forward. For non new england clients I charge $50 towards travel expenses. For a video setup and ISF calibration of the DVD scan rate I charge $400. Add 150 for HD ISF / color decoder / convergence as required. Add $150 for a duvetyne lining.

To book a calibration, simply complete the booking form at www.lionav.com and use the paypal interface to send the $50 travel fee.

If your not yet aware the Pioneer X30HDI sets have an ISF Calibration mode in them that need to be accessed via a RS-232 interface. This will be performed on your set, assuming that Milori.com (my analyzer company) has the interface completed by then. They have promised completion by CES which is in January. I already have 4-5 of this type of set booked so I am really looking forward to the interface.

Seasons greetings,

Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Just another update,

Off to Boston now and New Hampshire. To Vegas on Monday with a side trip to San Fransico.

SanFran is booked up, but still room for my Los Angeles / San Diego trip at the end of January.

Also still room for my Florida trip in February.

Happy New year!!

Gregg

Edward_Nic

Auditioning
Hi Gregg. I hope you enjoy CES in Las Vegas. I was going to attend this year but waited the last minute to book a room and by then the room rates were insane. I would like to get a touch up of the excellent job you did last year on my Sony KP57-WV700. I am in the Los Angles area, mid way between LA and San Diego. Do you have any openings in your So Cal tour. Thanks.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Well, Gregg was in on the night of Dec 30 and cranked out my Mits calibration. We had a great time BSing and he finished up in the wee hours of Dec 31. He cleaned all the optics, fixed my color decoder (no more red push!), adjusted overscan, cleaned up some geometry issues and calibrated grayscale on both the 1080i and 480p inputs. I also had my set lined with Duvetyne. Gregg worked on my set for about two-plus hours before he started the actual ISF calibration. He goes above and beyond what a regular ISF tech will do. Great job, and great results. Color is amazingly improved, blacks are now defined and even my wife with her 20-300 vision noticed a difference!

P.S. Gregg, the protective screen is still off! No casualties yet!

Ralph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks