ISF Video Calibrations: Colorado, South CA, NY/NJ, LasVegas

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Loewen, May 30, 2002.

1. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Im going to be on the road for the next 3 weeks so I thought I would make one "group" thread for my upcoming locals.
    Upcoming Tours
    Local service includes: MA, ME, VT, CT, NH, and RI
    Regular trips to Detroit and Minneapolis via stopovers on North West Airlines
    Regular trips to Eastern Canada including the Maritimes
    Chicago in April 2002
    New Jersey, NY, PA areas in May 2002
    DC and Area in May 2002
    Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas, North Carolina areas in June 2002
    Virginia Beach area in July 2002
    San Diego and Los Angeles in late July 2002, September 2002
    South Florida November 2002
    NJ NYC PA, July
    NJ NYC PA, September
    Colorado area, August
    Las Vegas Area, Late summer
    Michael Chen Tours
    Seattle/Vancouver/Spokane 2.0, 12-21 Aug
    Upper Midwest (Winnipeg/ND/Minn/Wisconsin), July 20-29, 2002
    Vancouver/Seattle/Spokane/Oregon Tour, August 12 to 21, 2002
    Toronto / Ottawa Tour, September 21 to 29, 2002
    Contact Michael at [email protected]
    Please post here or send an email if you have any questions.
    Other information and pricing may be found at www.greggloewen.com
    I also service the entire New England region and consider this to be my home base.
    Regards
    Gregg

2. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

A bump to let you know that Gregg and Michael Chen may be coming to your city this summer. Looking forward to meeting you Gregg and hoping you can fix my Sony Wega problems

3. Brad Bissell

Brad Bissell Extra

I just wanted to be the first on the current tour to write a short review of the work done by Gregg Loewen. As a note I'm sure I'll miss things along the way, or put things in the wrong order, but that is my error, Gregg did everything in the correct order and in a timely manner.

To say the least Gregg is very professional and does excellent calibrations. I have a Toshiba 40h80 that is about 1.25 years old. It had always had a distinct green tone to everything and people had a tendancy to look rather ill. This has all changed!

Gregg arrived at my house Friday morning at 9am. Coffee in one hand and equipment in the other he was ready to get to work. First thing on the list was cleaning and protective screen removal. These went off without a hitch and although I was hesitant about removing the protective plastic screen I can now say that viewing the tv during the day is easy even with the shades open. So, unless you have small children or pets you won't miss the protective screen, so get it removed!

After the protective screen removal Gregg completed the mechanical and electronic focus of the crt guns. My 40h80 had always been out of focus on the right side of the screen and it was obvious that the screen needed focusing. All the lenses were out of focus and the change in the convergence grids after the mech/elec focus were like night and day. The screen is now focused across the entire screen and the detail of image is amazing.

After focusing Gregg got to work on the grey levels. My screen precalibration levels were off by a large amount and every grey level was distinctly green. After Gregg was done adjusting everything the post calibration numbers were within 100K of 6500K!!! This alone is a night and day improvement. As Gregg said, "you can't get better than this with tubes". How right he is!

In the end Gregg adjusted my 480i and HDTV inputs and corrected the convergence errors induced by the screen change. He also completed lens striping which made the entire screen even in temperature. All at +/-6500K!

Gregg completed the calibration by 12:30 and headed off to NY.

In the end I can say that Gregg goes above and beyond for his customers and obviously enjoys his job. He is great to talk with during the calibration and is more than willing to explain everything that he is doing. If you have the chance to have Gregg Loewen calibrate your tv count yourself as a very lucky person. In the end you will have a beautiful picture! Worth every penny!

Brad Bissell

4. Alex J.

Alex J. Auditioning

Here's another short review:

Gregg arrived at my apt. in NY at 11:30am and got right to work on my Samsung TXL2791F. He's very friendly and knowlegeable so pay attention!

He fixed the greyscale--which I learned is the most important thing since this is what color is added to. If this is out of proportion, so are all the colors.

Then he encountered other problems such as the blacks not being "black", and geometry issues--which he fixed and re-fixed until he was happy with the result.

There are no barriers for Gregg, everything's possible. So, when I didn't have the service manual he said not to worry--and I didn't.

To sum up, my set looks fantastic! In dvd component mode, movies have never looked better; they are sharper, more vibrant, and most-importantly, color-accurate. A truly night and day comparison. Although there were still some SVM and edge enhancement issues that Gregg said that I could find the solution to in the forum.

Gregg is very enthousiastic, friendly, loves his job, and won't settle for second best and is very easy to talk to. I reccommend Gregg Loewen for your set's ISF Calibration, you won't be dissappointed!!!!

Now, I'll be locked in my room for the summer watching my movies the way they were meant to be seen!!

AlexJ

5. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Man, am I envious! I am dying to get my set calibrated.
    Gregg - When in November are you going to be in South Florida? My birthday is in November. [​IMG] Hmmm, I just thought of the perfect gift to ask my wife to get me. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Gregg, you have mail.

6. Robert P. Jones

Robert P. Jones Second Unit

I am a big screen repair serviceperson and also a highly experienced calibrator. I am available in the Northern CA area, and will travel anywhere requested. So far that has included New Jersey, Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon, Washington and Southern CA, along with many cals in my home area here, the SF Bay Area.

Someone from this board is as we speak wanting me to include him on my next trip to the midwest states. He lives in Springfield, IL.

I have avised him that I am not the one who creates the calibration tours, that the afficianodos themselves do that. I just hop the plane and go there.

I have spent many hundreds if not thousands of happy hours on this board and others over the last few years, except when my Mom was sick, which was for over a year, in '99 and 2000.

And catching up after that, which took forever, since I was needing to spend half my time up in Oregon caring for her as part of her 24/7 care team, each month getting farther and farther behind at home in CA. She had ALS. When you have that, it takes you far, far too long to die. Long past the time when you feel you are still a useful human being.

It is now time to spend some more time on these boards, and I hope somebody here remembers me.

Mr Bob

7. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi Bob! We remember you [​IMG] (welcome back)
    I knew you were doing trips to the NW but didnt know you also travelled elsewhere. When you get another trip together please email me and I will add your trip / trips to my web site.
    Regards
    Gregg
    PS: I consider you (as a service tech AND calibrator) to be a demigod [​IMG] I would love to have your skill set!

8. Robert P. Jones

Then kew... Will do -

Mr Bob

9. Ruben Salinas Stern

Gregg,
    When will you be in the local Boston area for a callibration? Please let me know. Thanks.
    Rubén

10. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Ruben,

I consider Boston to be part of my local service area. When would you like me to stop by? (as long as Im not away on a tour).

Regards

Gregg

11. Ruben Salinas Stern

Gregg,
    I will be gone for the month of July. Any time in June or August will be fine. I have a few questions.

1.I have a Loewe Calida 32" that already looks awesome without callibration. Do you have any experience with Loewe?

2.I won't be buying an hdtv stb until next year. Is it better to wait for high definition to callibrate the set?

3.I have a room with a lot of windows which makes it nearly impossible to make the room dark during the day. Could you come in the evening and how long will the whole thing take?

Thanks.
    Rubén

12. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Is it possible to get a calibration and put the protective screen back on?

As much as I'd love to watch it with the screen off, I have a 15 month old and another one on the way...

13. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Gregg - Same as Quentin, I would also need to have the protective screen put back out, I have a dog and my nieces and nephews are always over. Also, I emailed you but currently don't have access to my email. Do you have any exact dates for your South Florida tour in November?

14. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Vlad, I thought I responded (sorry)
    Quentin,
    I can do a calibration with or without the glare screen.
    I too have small children (3 and 5), I originally removed my screen about 1 year ago, and am glad I did.
    I have rigged up a removal protective screen taht I use. Basically I bought a 2x8 board and painted it black then placed it on the top of my set. Then I took 3 screws and attached them to the board. I bought a sheet of plexar plexiglass (about $60) at the glass store and hang this from the 2x8. When Im not at home the plexar is in place, when I come home I remove it and place it behind the TV. I have found this to work excellent for myself. My children even ask for me to remove it so they can watch Tarzan without the glare [​IMG] -- they learn soo fast.
    Ruben,
    I can do your Loewe set. My first experience was with one in February while attending the ISF class in San Diego. Lighting is not an issue, nite is always perferable, but if a day time slot works for you, I can simply cover the set with a blanket to imitate darkness. Let me know what date would work for you. I am very busy this month but could get to you if you request it. I will not be back to maine until June 19th.
    Regards
    Gregg

15. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Ruben,

Dont worry about the HD thing. I have a HD signal generator (actually I have 2) that is used to calibrate the HD signal. If you have a good line of site I can also bring my HD receiver and antenna to allow you to preview some HD.

Gregg

16. Ruben Salinas Stern

Gregg,
    I will be leaving on vacation on June 29th-July 27th (to Maine by the way). I will also be away June 22-24th. That leaves June 20, 21, 25, 26, 27, 28. If any of those dates works for you, let me know. If not, August any time. And yes, I would love to preview some HD.
    Rubén

17. Robert P. Jones

Gregg -

You mentioned my skillset, so I thought I'd share with you something I just submitted in another thread, replying about another ISF cal facility and how nice their website looks, how well written it is, and how effective and delicious their ISF cals will probably be.

For strictly ISF cals. Read on...

The kind of calibration I'm talking about encompasses all of the above, but also addresses an entire selection of things usually not done, nor typically even mentioned, in a typical ISF calibration.

Which includes the above (greyscale and user settings - which I do also, as both of us are ISF Certified, but with geometry and convergence designated an extra on their end) but goes much further:

Geometry and convergence are absolutely essential on ALL Image Perfection RPTV calibrations, and are always included in the base price of the basic calibration package. Most RPTVs are sent out from the factory horribly overscanned, to be able to fit into the sometimes widely varying sizing and placement parameters of all USA TV channels. This results in the loss of sizeable amounts of picture image, mostly at the sides but also often at the top and bottom of your pic. And both in HD and NTSC. Taking in this overscan to recapture the lost areas of image completely hoses your present picture shaping and placement AND your convergence. No matter how high precision it all may have started out, after resizing both g and c now have to be started over from scratch.

ALL varieties of convergence, including mastery of some very nasty landmines in certain of the older convergence systems. Louis Carliner, an excellent calibrator, took a giant hit on the boards over this several years ago, with a 700 Elite and a very unhappy customer afterwards. The convergence, no matter how tightly the factory sent it out - and that's REALLY an optimistic statement - continues to hose itself over and over during the first 100 hours of what we affectionately call burn-in time, sometimes referred to as the "drift period". Eventually the drifting peters down to at least a dull roar, tho I redo mine every few months, for absolute precision.

Professional optics cleaning. Essential every year without fail, plus down below the lenses at the CRT coolant covers whenever necessary, which can easily be every year also. This can be needed directly OOB, when there's debris from the factory observed in there, which is not uncommon. Special care has to be observed regarding often-used plastic lenses and the always-plastic CRT coolant covers, plus re. front surface mirrors and mylar mirrors - ALL of which can be damaged permanently with improper technique.

Precision optical (mechanical) focussing via the Cantilever Technique, assuring the tightest focussing possible in a projection system.

Scheimpfluge lens realignment if necessary, to restore linearity and symmetry in focussing across the entire screen. If this is not designed in properly at the factory on any individual lens, that color's image will not focus up properly at all points, from one side of the screen to the other. Center and maybe one side will be in, and the remaining side - sometimes even both sides - will out of focus. Fairly prevalent in Elites in particular.

Electrostatic focussing, with special emphasis on precision blue defocussing and its subtle but powerful relationship to the greyscale.

Astigmatism realignment if necessary, to correct potential asymmetries between the horizontal vs. the vertical components in electrostatic focussing, if they are found to be not identical and symmetrical with each other. Misalignment here can severely limit your image's ability to be precisely focussed, on any particular color.

Glarescreen removal, to cancel delicacy-neutralizing room reflections. This can be a very expensive process if you blow it and ruin the HIGHLY fragile, sometimes paper-thin lenticular screen in the process.

Duvetyne installation, to dampen distracting internal optical cavity reflections, and deliver the deepest of blacks.

Among other things.

My cals cover all of the above. Some are more exotic than others, and as such are not included in the basic cal package - which covers the entire job 90% of the time - but all are offered, at all times.

Mr Bob

18. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    gregg was at my house today and performed a miracle on my tv.
    i'll give a bit more detailed thought on what he did in another thread.

19. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Greg calibrated my Sony 32" Wega direct view set last week. Comparing the color scale readings before/after, it's hard to believe it's the same set. Before the calibration, my Sony was a minimum of about 2400 degrees too hot, and up to more than 7000 degrees too hot (about 13900 degrees K)! Needless to say, my colors were way off. Now, my set is a MAXIMUM of 97 degrees off (6597K), and some IRE readings are only 13 degrees off (6487K). I now have true whites and true blacks. Watching a newscast the other day, I clearly saw pinstripes in the anchor's suit, which I don't recall having seen before. Skin tones are much more realistic now than before.
    I had not been satisfied with my Sony Wega due to its color problems, but Greg was able to get everything looking perfect. It was money well spent, to say the least.
    Steve K.

20. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.