ISF Techs please help me !!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zach_A, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Zach_A

Zach_A Auditioning

Well this is my first post on this board ( have been lurking for a long time ), so be nice.

I bought a new RPTV a week ago or so. Middle of last week noticed a black spot in the middle of the TV. Called Samsung and they hooked me up with a local service center. They came out opened the screen and cleaned it out, he was done in 15 minutes flat.

During the time he was hear I was making conversation with him and asked if there company does ISF calibrations. This just set the guy off on a mini little rant about how ISF calibrations weren’t worth it and how its just some dumb 300 dollar course. He says most of the time the ISF tech just screws up the TV, usually damaging something inside. Also he said, depending on the manufacturer it will void the warranty (he was unsure about Samsungs position). Now I was completely surprised by what he said. I don’t know the specifics about the certification myself, but I assume its a lot of hard work and takes a lot of study time. I myself believe what all the members of this and other boards say about how good there sets look after it gets calibrated.

Now hear is my problem. I nearly had my wife talked into letting me get this set ISF’ed sometime soon. Upon hearing what this guy said, she basically said there was no way she was going to let me get this ISF’ed , because of the possibly voiding the warranty.

I need help from the ISF techs on this board to help convince her that this guy was an idiot and didn’t know what he was talking about. There are to many positive reviews of calibrations, for this guy to be right.

So any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Zach Adams

2. Robert P. Jones

Robert P. Jones Second Unit

My ISF cals take travel plus 4 hours for the basic cal package on one scanrate, add another 2 hours if you have 1080i HD, another 2 hours if you also have 720p HD. Then add one hour each for any aspect ratios that do not automatically get done upon completion of the primary one. These days the Toshibas are all in one, but a year or 2 ago, each TW mode needed independent calibration. This is still true for the Pioneers, unless they have changed since I cal'd one.

Add another hour to VERY CAREFULLY remove the glarescreen, another hour to deep clean the optics under the lenses at the CRT coolant covers if necessary, another hour to do the duvetyne, another hour to correct red push and realign your color decoder IF your TV has that capacity, another half hour each for astigmatism realignment on any CRT that may need it, another 45 minutes each retilting to accuracy any of the 3 lenses that were not designed into the chassis properly at the factory and are now causing the focus to not be linear all across the screen on that particular color...

Most RPTVs are overscanned OOB, to accomodate all the different placements of the different channels across the country on cable, OTA and on satellite, depriving you of much of your pic. Resizing these completely hoses the geometry and convergence, necessitating having to start from scratch on each color after that. On the Mits's, red and blue follows the green wherever you take it when you are redoing your template, making things be faster, but on the Tosh's and Pioneers, each color image has to be started from scratch after being hosed by this resizing.

The greyscales typically arrive very blue - the Mits greyscales used to arrive very pink, but now they are all over the map - nowhere closer to true accuracy, which is D6500K.

Our job is to ACCURATELY replicate what the director had in mind when he did that film, with colorations that reflect and achieve that accuracy, not just give you a "colorful" picture. Therefore our job is to set your TV up to where it replicates what it is supposed to, with the greatest of ACCURACY. The manufacturers want to sell as many TVs as they can, and these 2 ideas do not seem to exist in the same universe with any frequency, out there.

The total number of hours it took to completely do my 65", 720p capable, red pushed, superblue-white greyscaled, overscanned, bowed and not parallel at the edges and highly drifted-convergence, Panasonic - was approximately 15 hours. That was in pieces of time in my offtime, so it could very well have been 20 hours, I'll never know.

But when I was done with it, it SANG! Stellar performance, I just can't stay away from it. Whenever I get home, my first urge is to turn it on and look at it.

Tell your tech I'm glad he can suffer what comes out of the box these days, because the bottom line is suspension of disbelief. And some of us just can't achieve that when we are seeing a mulchy picture because of out of focus lenses, uneven focussing across the screen, speedbumps as the camera pans and credits roll, inaccurate colors and color schemes that bear no resemblance to reality, absence of major areas of picture due to factory installed overscan, red/green and blue/yellow edged blurriness where there should be crisp B/W edges, haziness where there should be crisp detail in dark areas, sharp detail only on closeup sports shots but not on faraway shots, HD that has the capacity to be incredibly stellar but is only slightly better than DVD...

Should I go on?

Mr Bob

3. Robert Mayrand

Robert Mayrand Stunt Coordinator

4. Zach_A

Zach_A Auditioning

Thanks to each of you for your help. Its going to be a long hard fight but your info will help.
    Zach[​IMG]

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

As an aside, Samsung's take on ISF calibration is that once an unauthorized service technician changed anything in the service menu, the warranty is void.

6. Robert P. Jones

This is also printed in the user's manual for my 65" Panny.

But in talking with their factory repair techs about it, once I ID'd myself as a calibrator with a rep on the Internet, they had no problem with it.

I then had their local warranty station out here to perform a factory mod on one cap each on my CRT boards, for a known factory defect in my particular unit. Coulda done it myself, being a service tech and fully qualified with a soldering iron, but THAT would have definitely voided my warranty, which is for a full year.

The owner, who came out himself to perform the mod, afterwards sat there and commented on how delicious the color correct, supertight HD pic looked on my fully calibrated 65" Panny. He had no problem taking my card and expressing how valuable he knows my calibration services are from his end, after 30 years in the biz himself.

And no problem keeping my warranty fully in force.

Mr Bob

7. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

The manufacturers do CYA on the service menu because you have the capibility to REALLY screw up your set if you don't know what you are doing. I certainly wouldn't worry about the warranty.

How are they going to know? Will they tell you that the picture looks too damn good? =)

8. Robert P. Jones

Yo!

Mr Bob