(ISF) Repair Tech who comes and looks at my TV says "VIVID" is best; no joke!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dave H, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

This is not a joke.

I recently called a tech out because of a problem with my set (noise/waves in darker scenes of picture).

The tech arrived -- we chatted -- he noted how good my greyscale looked. I said I recently had it ISF'd. He then went on to say how he is ISF certified, as well.

In addition, he said, in his opinion, ISF has it wrong. He says contrast should be boosted to the max, with brightness around 50%. He noted the VIVID mode is actually the most ideal mode. I told him he's gotten to be joking. But, he was serious. He laughed when I said you don't want to see blooming on the test patterns. He said that was bull. Now, I'm not a tech, but I clearly explained why it was bad to have white level that high. Putting aside technical and aeshthic reasons, look how hard that is on the eyes!

He did go on to clarify that this was his opinion --- which it certainly is. His WRONG opinion. Unbelievable. I'm glad I didn't have this guy ISF my set. In addition, he doesn't think there is even anything wrong with my set, but he is going to call a Sony engineer to see what they say. He saw the waves I am seeing, but thinks it's just a power supply problem somewhere and there is no way to verify what it is. He doesn't think it's the TV.

On any rate, should I just called out another place? My set is only a month and a half old, so I'm thinking of just calling out another repair service. However, considering he is going to call Sony and speak with an engineer there, I'm not sure if it will matter with my problem.

2. John S

John S Producer

I feel sorry for those, that he has so called professionally calibrated.

I certainly would not take anything the guy said as 100% correct, that's for sure.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Everyone is entitled to their opinion ... informed or otherwise. Just like how stupid people are allowed to vote. [​IMG]

Man ... either you agree that 2+2=4 or you don't ... and I guess he doesn't. And an image that hurts your eyes is good?

(BTW ... it is very possible to set up the optimal mode within the tV to VIVID ... but that would simply be redefining it to what correct is.)

Regards

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

What kills me is him saying Contrast should be 100% and Brightness should be 50%. That could be correct on one set, but very incorrect on the next. Being a technician, you'd figure he'd realise this?!!

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

This is why the quality of the tech has little to do with the labels they apply to themselves.

7. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

A good technician is hard to come by these days. It's like trying to find a good shop to take your car in and hope that they don't screw it up even more.

This is a question for the ISF Calibrators on this forum. We all trust your work and from personal experience, I could not have chosen ISF Calibrator without this forum.

To be ISF certified, I would imagine that you need to take some class to teach you the tricks and have the equipments to do the job. I imagined, you pay good money for the class and yet alone for the cost of the equipments.

At the end of the class, do you get a pass or fail, or is it like a workshop or traffic school, where you sit there all day and pass no matter what?

Does the ISF instructors held the students accountable, according to the class work? Or is it guarantee that you will be certified because you took the class?

How do you know that the technician is ISF certified? Can you call some board and see if the person that you want to hire is actually ISF certified?

How do you know?

What should you ask?

By the way, I got my set ISF calibrated by Gregg. I'm very pleased with his work. Once you see the true colors from your TV, its very hard to walk into a friend's house and watch their set with no calibration at all.

PS. Michael TLV, I read your reviews from other customers. I don't want to leave you out and I know that you are the king of Pannys, but Gregg was is my area and I **had** to go with second best . [​IMG] No hard feelings!!! On my next display, I will look you up for sure!!

8. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings Tim,

Don't worry about not using me, I don't service that area anymore anyway. :wink: And besides, I still only do it part time as a hobby job unlike Gregg, who does it full time.

Now onto the meat of what you asked ...

"To be ISF certified, I would imagine that you need to take some class to teach you the tricks and have the equipments to do the job. I imagined, you pay good money for the class and yet alone for the cost of the equipments. "

The ISF offers a two day seminar on this stuff. It provides the fundamentals on imaging as well as a history lesson on TV technology. There are some hands on labs ... but they generally only stick to grayscale and the user control stuff and SVM and colour decoding. Taking the set apart is not covered at all. At the end of the seminar, it is stressed that you have a good foundation of knowledge to build on ... but you are no where ready to go out there and charge people money.

More of what happens at an ISF seminar can be found at the keohihdtv site. There is a big write up on the specifics of what happens.

The good calibrators already tend to know what they are doing well before the seminar. It's the enthusiast that excels ... not the guy that works for some company that sent him there.

coinage ... last time I looked, the seminar was about $1000 plus all the travel expenses to get there. My own equipment investment is about $25K by now ... easy.

"At the end of the class, do you get a pass or fail, or is it like a workshop or traffic school, where you sit there all day and pass no matter what? "

An open book take home test was implemented into the seminar in 2002 after some controversy over people walking out of the seminar with no knowledge, but boasting the ISF logo. The test is fairly straightforward as it covers pretty much everything Joel Silver talks about in the seminar. You would only fail it if you slept through the seminar. Mind you, how easy or hard it is ... is a relative statement for some do find it hard while others find it rather easy.

"Does the ISF instructors held the students accountable, according to the class work? Or is it guarantee that you will be certified because you took the class?"

No guarantees ... but they continue to stress that the seminar in and of itself is not enough for a person to go out there to charge money. Many can choose to ignore this though and many have. As for accountability ... if people file a complaint with the ISF, they will investigate the person or company ...

"How do you know that the technician is ISF certified? Can you call some board and see if the person that you want to hire is actually ISF certified?"

The ISF site lists dealers with and without equipment. Those without equipment are a complete waste of time and they can do nothing for you. "Come meet the man who met Andy Griffith." The word dealer is somewhat misleading though since not all people that take the course operate a store front nor do we actually sell product. Gregg and myself are freelance, but we are still called dealers at the ISF site.

The ISF site lists places as dealers ... so they do not identify by name who it was that actually took the course. IT is often very possible that the ISF moniker sticks with the company and yet the original person that took the seminar has left the company. The stores are supposed to update the ISF on this, but no one does ... so watch out. If you contact the ISF, you can ask them to tell you precisely who at that store is the guy that took the seminar.

"What should you ask?"

Ultimately, what is more important is reputation and referrals. 4000+ have taken the seminar ... probably only 50 out there worth their weight in salt. If you don't know, just ask on the forum and you will get some kind of answer.

A good test for these people though is to see if they frequent the web and know of home theater sites like this one ... and others. The Good calibrators keep up to date on the stuff by researching on the net ...

If they don't frequent the web ... back away ... fast.

Hope this helps. (Gregg and I have gotten to the point where we help to TA some of the ISF seminars so that is kinda cool.)

Regards

9. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Great reply. It answers many questions!!! I hope others will find it helpful also.

10. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys...just popping in to check out the thread...maybe it was me, I was drinking quite heavily last week (though Ive been told never to drink and mess with drives :) )

On a side note...its nice to hang with friends on the net...thanks!

Regards

Gregg