ISF in Saskatchewan Canada?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by wayne-sun, Nov 5, 2002.

1. wayne-sun

wayne-sun Agent

Does anybody know of someone up here that does calibrations? I've got about 40 movies watched plus some sat. tv on a Toshiba 50H82 and would be interested in getting it done.

2. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

After checking this page, it appears as though the closest may be in Calgary or Winnipeg. Michael_TLV is an ISF from Calgary who contributes to this forum quite a bit--and seems very well thought-of amongst the membership...

3. Robert P. Jones

Robert P. Jones Second Unit

Yes, Michael Chen - TLV - really knows his stuff.

Also, there's Leo Visloboda, I believe in Toronto.

Don't know my geography, but...

I will be glad to do it, if you fly me up -

Mr Bob

4. wayne-sun

wayne-sun Agent

Just so you know Robert, from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to Toronto, Ontario is 1383 miles. To San Francisco is only 1257 miles so you actually are closer, but I think I'll look to Calgary, Alberta (Only 360 miles approx.)Thanks.

5. Robert P. Jones

I hear you.

I have a dear friend in Calgary I've been wanting to visit, and I would be willing to split the travel fees with you, to be able to do that.

But I understand your wanting to stay local. 360 miles away from a really professional grade calibrator is actually very good, considering how few calibrators of that level that there are, out there.

Mr Bob

6. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

hi,
    i'm speaking from personal experience with regard to Michael Chen of Michael TLV.

My brother in Vancouver and myself have both had our tosh 65h80's done by him and we couldn't be happier.

i was the organiser of Michael's first Toronto tour (winter 2000)and therefore spoke to the dozen or so customers both before and after the calibrations and everyone was very happy.

of course timing is everything, but you never know maybee he already has a trip planned to tour area.

i think he headquarters out of the Keohi site as well as some other well regarded calibrators.

anywho regardless of whom you choose i feel it's a must, particularly with an rptv.

best of luck
    peter m.

7. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi guys!
    Ill be S'toon in May (as well as Edmonton) :)
    I went to U of S and grewup in Regina.
    Im not sure if Michael is going that way before then? Or you can go with Bob...so many choices (really weird for toon town) [​IMG]
    Regards
    Gregg

8. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i'm fairly ignorant re. this professional calibration business so please forgive/ignore me if i'm out of line.
    first, 'about' how much would this service cost? just video calibration.
    second, is it worth doing on a 5 year old direct viewing 35 in. tube toshiba tv?
    i think it looks good now from just my own tune-up with a set-up dvd, but always welcome any improvements to my h/t.
    btw, i'm in edmonton and interested...
    thanks for any info given[​IMG]

9. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi Joe,
    A calibration will get your color more accurate and minimize your overscan as well as fixing most geometry problems. I charge $225 US for working on a tube.

Michael lives in Calgary and has family in Edmonton so he travels there at least monthly. I will also be in Edmonton in May to visit my brother and to attend a friend's wedding.

Regards
    Gregg

10. Robert P. Jones

I just did a 35" Mit today, about 8 years old, and it really needed it. The geometry was so pincushioned that it looked like somebody had wrapped a measuring tape around somebody's waistline, and pulled. They could not see most of their scores on their Nintendo, the ones that were near any edges at the sides. Most of the numbers in the corners were simply offscreen. Never seen a 35" drift so bad over the years, but the owner swears it was a gradual thing, and not sudden.

The greyscale was WAY green in the darks, and the whites coulda used some work also, but there were no registers in there for drive, only for cut in the low, medium and high color temps. Screwy, to not have drives available...

Yes, older sets need love, too. Most of my first jaunts into the calibration field were older sets that I had just repaired.

Trust me, there is an even more striking difference between cal'd and uncal'd performance in a set with some years on it. This is obviously true of DVs, but also with RPTVs and ceiling projectors. ESPECIALLY RPTVs. Just cleaning the optics on them makes a DRASTIC difference when they have not been touched for 5-10 years.

Mr Bob

11. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings Joe
    Canadian costs for calibrating a tube set is $250 for one grayscale and $350 for two grayscales. (Typical is $250)
    I travel to edmonton whenever there is interest.
    (Gregg means my wedding. [​IMG] )
    Regards

12. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

13. joe rizzuto

michael,
    i'm thinking that this is a really good idea.

i'm also thinking perhaps in the new year would be a good time for me. i'd prefer to live thru christmas first.

how do i get hold of you when i'm ready. (and to see if/when you will be in town?)

14. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Joe ... just email me when you are ready.

Regards

15. joe rizzuto

can't wait. thanks michael!