ISF in Portland, Oregon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DennisHP, Oct 18, 2001.

1. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Has anyone in the Portland, Oregon area used Don Cline to have their set calibrated?
    His basic calibration includes: convergence, grey scale calibration using the Philips Color Analyzer, and optimization of user controls (brightness, contrast, etc) based on the newly calibrated grey scale. He charges $250.00. Does that seem right based on what he's doing?

2. Steven Tillman

Steven Tillman Auditioning

I haven't heard of Don Cline...is he in business in Portland?
    The price sounds reasonable to me, but I don't have a good basis of comparison. You might check with Bob Jones at http://imageperfection.com/
    I know "Mr. Bob" has family in Portland and makes it up our way on occasion. You might drop him a line and get a price.
    I have a new (4 month old) RPTV... I'm going to wait a few more months before getting it professionally calibrated. I am interested in the local calibration resources.

3. Steven Tillman

Dennis,
    One other thing. I don't know what brand of set you own, but I'd be sure to ask if the technician has access to your set's service manual.

4. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Steven, I found Don Cline on HTF's "Find and ISF" function on the main page and subsequently email'd him. My set is a Toshiba RPTV and he owns one himself and says their easy to calibrate. He also gaurantee's his work stating if you don't like how it looks when he's done, he'll put it back the way it was. I'm not ready yet as my set is new so I'm looking around.
    Thanks for the reply.

5. Steven Tillman

I looked Don up on the ISF site...Looks good!
    I really do think 250 is reasonable considering the equipment and expertise he brings to the table.
    I've got a new 55" SharpVision. I like the picture and features so far, but I'm sure I'll want that last little bit of tweak at some point. I just bought a RP-56 Panny so I'm playing with progressive scan now. Interesting side note...I like the picture better on this new $215.00 player better than my old $800.00 (interlaced) player. Things are moving SO fast!
    I think I'm going to start checking into a set top box...and check out the local OTA high def broadcasting. I'm not ready for a dish, extra boxes for the bedrooms, etc.
    We'll have to compare notes soon!

6. DenR

DenR Auditioning

Steven, Dennis,

Don is a fine ISF tech and comes with my highest recommendation. He did my Sharpvision 16:9 direct-view last year. He was also an assistant at the Jan 2002 ISF course where I obtained my ISF certification and has helped me a lot in getting my own calibration biz started.

Don has a lot of experience with RPTVs (I've seen his magnificently tweaked Toshiba), but I may have been his first Sharp and they are odd birds in many ways. Steven, if you decide to go with Don, feel free to contact me (or Don can) if you run into anything odd. I have become a scholar on the design of my set and have eeked out every last bit of performance; there are many pitfalls in getting everything optimized. There's also some good threads on avsforum regarding some known or common bugs and manufacturing problems.

Good luck!

Dennis Rooks

HD Northwest