What's new

ISF Certification or not? (1 Viewer)

Grady

Agent
I have an Elite 510 and I'm waffling on the issue of an ISF. When I first got my set it had a problem and my dealer sent out his ISF Certified tech who fixed it. He told me the focus(electronic and mechanical focus I believe is what he said)looked very good and he didn't believe it could be improved. He also attached a device to the set and measured the color temp at 7200k in the B&W mode. The other modes were much higher so he suggested I stick to the B&W which I did. He also tweeked the set with the Avia disc. To be honest the unit looks so good with dvd and hdtv I'm having a hard time convincing myself an ISF will make a material improvement.
Are there other Elite 510,610 or 710 owners out there who have taken the plunge? Are you happy with the improvement? Knowing what you know now would you do it again? The gentleman who worked on my set told me the Elites are usually better factory calibrated than most other RPTV and as result I'm afraid to risk the $6-700.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I don't own an elite, I just own the regular pioneer 58' 16x9, but I had it calibrated and was very happy with the results. I had the guy from Bjorn's do it (Seigfried). Although I have issues with Bjorn's, Seigfried did a very good job.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I'll be moving this to the TV Forum but will first answer the question at hand: ISF calibration is absolutely a worthy upgrade to any TV, but its outcome truly depends on the tech. Case in point...
He also attached a device to the set and measured the color temp at 7200k in the B&W mode. The other modes were much higher so he suggested I stick to the B&W which I did.
This, in my opinion, is an example of what you don't want. The device that he connected is called a color analyzer and is used to measure the grayscale color temperature. Instead of just measuring the value and suggesting its the best mode because it's the lowest, he should have calibrated the set so it tracked properly. This is the heart of the ISF service - correct grayscale. A properly calibrated set should track around 6500 degrees Kelvin. 7200K from the factory is still quite blue (although better than many other stock sets). You will find that with a proper grayscale your blacks will be true, flesh tones will be pristine, and colors will absolutely pop out of the screen at you.
The other main aspect of ISF calibration is proper picture settings (ie. contrast, brightness, color, tint, and sharpness). Combined with a correct grayscale these adjustments will give you the most accurate image possible given the limitations of your particular monitor. You can achieve similar picture settings on your own using Avia or Video Essentials, but grayscale will require a trained technician with the proper instrumentation (ie. he must hav a color analyzer).
Many ISF techs also offer additional services such as focus (apparently yours is fine, which is no surprise as the Elites generate one of the highest resolution images available from a 7" CRT equipped RPTV), geometry, and convergence. These adjustments are outside the "ISF Proper" calibration and will likely command a higher price. Your local tech may not even offer this level of support.
Is a proper ISF calibration a worthwhile investment? That's really an individual decision. But if truly accurate video is your goal than you cannot go wrong. As good as you think your picture might be now it's a safe bet an ISF calibration will rock your world (but the tech is the key component). The adjustments they make are the cornerstone of high-end video.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

BrentB

Grip
You mention that you are moving this to the TV forum
(ISF Certification or not?)
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place(as I'm fairly new to this) but I thought this WAS the TV forum. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong place all along.Can you please refer me to the TV forum as I'm tearing my hair out trying to decide which TV to purchase.
Thank you very much,BrentB

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I just responded to your e-mail and now seeing your post I realize the source of confusion. This thread was originally posted in the Hardware area. I moved it from there to here (the TV & Projectors Forum) after I replied. You're in the right place if you want to research a TV purchase. I would encourage you to use the search function before starting new threads as you'll likely find the answers to your questions (and won't have to wait to get 'em).
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Jim Kirkman

Agent
Is a proper ISF calibration a worthwhile investment? That's really an individual decision. But if truly accurate video is your goal than you cannot go wrong.
Which brings up the question: how does one find a good calibrationist? From what I've been reading, being ISF certified doesn't always mean the person is a good calibrationist. And unfortunately, the few highly recommended calibrationists we've met on these forums are far from my area and flying someone in is way out of my budget. (Perhaps one of you guys would like to visit the Colonial Williamsburg/Jamestown area?
wink.gif
)
I would guess that I might ask for references. But since I've never seen a properly calibrated set (refering to greyscale here), I'm not confident I would be a good judge of the results on sets I've not seen before.
Perhaps someone could post a "How to Find a Good Calibrationist" guide for those of us who are new to this.
Thanks.
Jim
------------------

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
If you don't mind getting into the TV, you can do everything an ISF tech would do, minus a "perfect" grayscale calibration (which is the only thing my DIY TWEAKED Sony RPTV lacks!). There are several brand specific forums where users have delved into the service menus and can give TONS of hints to get a better picture. Many TV's now offer a service menu switch to turn off SVM (scan velocity modulation) which could only be turned off by pulling a wire inside the TV in years past. Doing a mechanical and electrical focus are usually very easy to do, although depending on the TV, you may need two people for mechanical focus (one to look at the screen and another around the rear to turn the lens). Some RPTV's allow you to slide the screen straight up or to the side so you can reach the lens from the front while watching the screen. My Sony's screen is going anywhere unless you do a major deconstruction job! Using AVIA to setup black level, sharpness, color, etc, is also very easy for most any competent person. Geometry and convergence are also generally easy to do!
------------------
Jim
-------
Mancow rocks! Link Removed

Jim Kirkman

Agent
Thanks for the information, Jim A. I guess I should have mentioned that I've been to that site and have done several of the suggested tweeks already. So far that includes;
convergence/geometry using grid overlays
adjusting picture position and overscan
electrical and mechanical focus
disabled SVM
All user adjustments using AVIA
Thats about as much as I am somewhat comfortable doing myself.
Errol,
It's been some time since I've read that thread. I'll read it again to see if I can find any information I can use.
Jim
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks