ISF Certification or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Grady

Grady Extra

I have an Elite 510 and I'm waffling on the issue of an ISF. When I first got my set it had a problem and my dealer sent out his ISF Certified tech who fixed it. He told me the focus(electronic and mechanical focus I believe is what he said)looked very good and he didn't believe it could be improved. He also attached a device to the set and measured the color temp at 7200k in the B&W mode. The other modes were much higher so he suggested I stick to the B&W which I did. He also tweeked the set with the Avia disc. To be honest the unit looks so good with dvd and hdtv I'm having a hard time convincing myself an ISF will make a material improvement.
    Are there other Elite 510,610 or 710 owners out there who have taken the plunge? Are you happy with the improvement? Knowing what you know now would you do it again? The gentleman who worked on my set told me the Elites are usually better factory calibrated than most other RPTV and as result I'm afraid to risk the $6-700.

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I don't own an elite, I just own the regular pioneer 58' 16x9, but I had it calibrated and was very happy with the results. I had the guy from Bjorn's do it (Seigfried). Although I have issues with Bjorn's, Seigfried did a very good job.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I'll be moving this to the TV Forum but will first answer the question at hand: ISF calibration is absolutely a worthy upgrade to any TV, but its outcome truly depends on the tech. Case in point...

4. BrentB

BrentB Extra

You mention that you are moving this to the TV forum
    (ISF Certification or not?)
    Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place(as I'm fairly new to this) but I thought this WAS the TV forum. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong place all along.Can you please refer me to the TV forum as I'm tearing my hair out trying to decide which TV to purchase.
    Thank you very much,BrentB

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I just responded to your e-mail and now seeing your post I realize the source of confusion. This thread was originally posted in the Hardware area. I moved it from there to here (the TV & Projectors Forum) after I replied. You're in the right place if you want to research a TV purchase. I would encourage you to use the search function before starting new threads as you'll likely find the answers to your questions (and won't have to wait to get 'em).
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

6. Jim Kirkman

Jim Kirkman Agent

7. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

If you don't mind getting into the TV, you can do everything an ISF tech would do, minus a "perfect" grayscale calibration (which is the only thing my DIY TWEAKED Sony RPTV lacks!). There are several brand specific forums where users have delved into the service menus and can give TONS of hints to get a better picture. Many TV's now offer a service menu switch to turn off SVM (scan velocity modulation) which could only be turned off by pulling a wire inside the TV in years past. Doing a mechanical and electrical focus are usually very easy to do, although depending on the TV, you may need two people for mechanical focus (one to look at the screen and another around the rear to turn the lens). Some RPTV's allow you to slide the screen straight up or to the side so you can reach the lens from the front while watching the screen. My Sony's screen is going anywhere unless you do a major deconstruction job! Using AVIA to setup black level, sharpness, color, etc, is also very easy for most any competent person. Geometry and convergence are also generally easy to do!
    ------------------
    Jim
    -------
    Mancow rocks! www.mancow.com

8. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi there,
    You may also want to read this revealing thread on calibration .
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

9. Jim Kirkman

Jim Kirkman Agent

Thanks for the information, Jim A. I guess I should have mentioned that I've been to that site and have done several of the suggested tweeks already. So far that includes;
    convergence/geometry using grid overlays
    adjusting picture position and overscan
    electrical and mechanical focus
    disabled SVM
    All user adjustments using AVIA
    Thats about as much as I am somewhat comfortable doing myself.
    Errol,
    It's been some time since I've read that thread. I'll read it again to see if I can find any information I can use.
    Jim
    ------------------