ISF Calibrator's Opinion on Panasonic Temp Settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stephen_z, Jul 11, 2002.

1. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Hoping that some of the ISF calibrators out there can provide inputs on how well Panasonic factory temperature settings for Tau screens are setup. I recently bought a CT27SX12, and once I dialed down the PICTURE control, the NORMAL setting seems right (COOL and WARM seem too extreme). How close is the NORMAL setting to 6500K?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I have found Panny tube sets to be in the 8000's and 9000's even in the warm mode and the coordinates are well off the black body curve too. We care not only about the colour temp, but where it sits on the CIE chart. The chart is important since it is kinda like the Z axis where as the colour temp is just an X-Y axis representation.

D6500K represents not only 6500K, but also a specific point in Z space ... (the black body curve.) Without the Z-space, I can give you 6500K, but it could look super green ...

Regards

3. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Michael,
    Thanks for the input! The Panasonic is a stop gap until I decide on a large screen HDTV display next year (my Sony XBR died last week). I could certainly justify an ISF calibration for a large screen display, but I have a hard time justifying it for a $475 TV. Would I be amazed at the image improvement after a calibration?