What's new

ISF calibrators in Atlanta area? (1 Viewer)

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
I am considering a purchase this Friday or Saturday of a new Mitsubishi WS-48311 48" widescreen TV (and possibly a speaker setup to go along with it). Can somebody who lives in the Atlanta area recommend a good ISF calibration technician or a company that does lots of calibrations? I may pick up the AVIA disc and use that to help, but I have a feeling that, being a complete novice at this, most of what I do is probably going to make things worse. :)

Also I've heard that Mitsu TVs have a red push issue and that they need an EEPROM flashing, or something of that nature, to fix it. Is a hardware flashing or chip replacement necessary, or can the red push be sorted with proper menu-driven calibration?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

cheers,
Phil

BrandonB

Agent
I don't know about flashing EEPROMs on TV (didn't know they had them), but I'd recommend you save the current EEPROM settings before you start flashing it with something else. Might want to check your warranty papers prior to doing that as well.

But the real reason I'm posting is about those calibrating CDs. I am curious of effective they are as well. Wondering if we could get some gurus to post their opinions on them.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
I didn't know about flashing EPROMs on TVs (didn't know they had them)
Neither did I, until I read this thread. Apparently they do, which is why I'm keen on having somebody ISF-calibrate the thing (since any menu-driven adjustment, AVIA-supported or no, won't really fix the problem if it's hard-wired into the set as sold).

Also, I want nothing to do with it myself if it does require a EPROM flash. Too many things can go wrong and if I tried doing that myself, I would wind up with a dead set.

cheers,
Phil

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
It's usually recommended that when you buy a new RPTV that you bring it home and calibrate it to the best of your ability w/ Avia or another calibration disc (I use S&V). Then after about 6 months re-calibrate on your own and then bring in an ISF tech.

Over that 6 month period the TV will break in which may cause shifts in convergence and other settings. Because of this, you don't want to get the TV ISF calibrated the day you bring it home just to have to pay another $250 to get it calibrated AGAIN 6 months later.

Hope this helps :)

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Oho! I hadn't considered that the break-in would cause it to go out of whack. Thanks for the tip -- I'll pick up an AVIA disc or something similar and start with that, then get it ISF calibrated in six months or so.

Out of curiosity, how good is the THX calibration that you see on many DVDs these days (Tron, Attack of the Clones, Terminator 2, etc.)? Is it at all comparable to, say, what the AVIA disc will do for you?

cheers,
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks