ISF calibrator and 61SWX10B pro help needed

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Skripo, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Skripo

Skripo Auditioning

4 years after buying this set I finally decided to get an ISF calibration. I called a locally certified ISF calibrator and the long awaited day finally arrived. Unfortunately this guy has only been doing it 3 years and had not had much experience with projection tv's.

I supplied him the service manual and he got to work calibrating the TV. He started with a converence but that was before he adjusted the overscan and picture position, which where both wildly off due to a previous repair.

Once he finished he had to do it all over again because the overscan and picture position was off and had to be readjusted. I had tried to tell him but didn't want to appear to be telling him his job.

Finally it was time to adjust the colors and this is where things got really funky. He tried to adjust the colors in the first service menu page. I had read the manual and informed him that those where cool reference settings and those where not the ones he should use because they are the baseline values used to calculate warm and normal. Unfortunately he could not find the settings for the RGB so I now have a TV that has to be left in cool mode to look normal. My convergence is also still off.

Can anyone tell me where in the service menu I can set the RGB values? I also want to cement the menu settings (which he used adjusted) in the service menu. Where do I ifind the contrast, bright, hue, and color?

Thanks!

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

There's a page button on the remote or you just keep scrolling down to get to the user items.

Clicking on the RGB items usually cycles through the warm and medium settings too ...

There are good doctors and bad doctors ... and some doctors that don't like to upgrade their knowledge.

Not a complete calibration job, but you have to ask for those and they usually cost more.

Regards

3. Skripo

Skripo Auditioning

It would be a little presumptious of me, or anyone for that matter, to expect every ISF certified tech to know every service menu in every TV, especially a projector.

Does anyone know the answer to my original question? You CANNOT go to warm and normal modes. The service manual clearly states that all the other modes are FUNCTIONS of the cool mode. Making changes here is futile.

What my ISF guy needs to do is put the TV in normal mode and them adjust the colors. How does he do that?

4. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Then set the TV to normal mode ... go into the service menu .. make the changes in the cool mode ... come out ... take a reading in the normal mode and continue until it gets done.

Just don't take a reading in the service mode. All readings should occur in the TV mode.

Regards

5. Skripo

Skripo Auditioning

That is a good idea but a little tedious. Below are the service menu settings, can you tell me which ones should be used to adjust the RGB values, hue, contrast, sharpness, brightness, color, etc? Basically I want him to adjust RGB and set the default values for the regular menus so I can leave them at zero and have a calibrated set.

The ISF tech is coming tomorrow morning. Thank you for all your help so far!

Service menu:

RGBOUT0
    SUB-BRT
    G-DRV-H
    G-DRV-M
    G-DRV-S
    R-DRV-H
    R-DRV-M
    R-DRV-S
    R-CUT-H
    R-CUT-M
    R-CUT-S
    G-CUT-H
    G-CUT-M
    G-CUT-S
    B-CUT-H
    B-CUT-M
    B-CUT-S
    SUBCNT0
    COLOR-4
    COLOR-F
    COLOR-G
    TINT-4
    TINT-F
    TINT-G
    SHARP-4
    SHARP-A
    SHARP-B
    SHARP-9
    SHARP-E
    RY-PH-4
    RY-PH-F
    RY-PH-G
    R/B-GA4
    R/B-GAF
    R/B-GAG
    GY-PH-4
    GY-PH-F
    GY-PH-G
    G/B-GA4
    G/B-GAF
    G/B-GAG
    DC-PNT0
    DC-RET0
    DC-LMT0
    DABLPN0
    DABLGA0
    H-POSI
    H-POSIH
    H-POSID
    APRTR-4
    APRTR-A
    APRTR-C
    APRTR-E
    CLT-4
    CLT-A
    CLT-C
    CLT-E
    SRT-TR4
    SRT-TRA
    SRT-TRC
    SRT-TRE
    SRT-FQ4
    SRT-FQA
    SRT-FQC
    SRT-FQE
    VSM-PH4
    VSM-PHA
    VSM-PHC
    VSM-PHE
    VSMGA4
    VSMGAA
    VSMGAC
    VSMGAE
    VSMGAM4
    VSMGAMA
    VSMGAMC
    VSMGAME
    CDE-4
    CDE-A
    CDE-C
    CDE-E
    CLPPHS0
    HBPPH10
    HBPPH20
    DCUBRT0
    DCUCNT0
    OSDACL0
    OSDBRT0
    OSDCNT0
    DCRRSW0
    COLORG0
    YCGA-0
    BSP-0
    APL/BS0
    BLC-0
    BDL-0
    BS-ARE0
    SRTGA-0
    WPL-LE0
    ABL-PN0
    ABL-GA0
    TYNCG10
    DYNCG20
    STATG10
    STATG20
    YOUTG-0
    Y-DTL-0
    WP-PNT0
    WP-GA-0
    HI-VRT0
    WPS-0
    BLS-0
    G-STR-0
    BSTRG-0
    BSTRP-0
    BSCHR10
    BSCHR20
    SCT-SW0
    BBE-LO
    BBE-HI
    AGC
    SURR
    OSD-HP
    OSD-VP
    OSDCL12
    OSDCL3
    SMPLING
    POLLING
    START
    TIMEOUT
    STATUS
    WAIT
    REPEAT
    HFRQ-N
    SUBBRTH
    M-CONT-H
    M-CLR-H
    S-CONT-H
    S-CLR-H
    INPUT1
    INPUT2
    SYNCDET
    F-STD
    H-STD
    NOISE
    DYGA
    DCGA
    VAPGA
    VAPIN
    YHCOR
    HSYNC-M
    VSYNC-M
    CSYNC-M
    HSYNC-S
    VSYNC-S
    CSYNC-S
    M-CONT1
    M-CONT3
    M-CONTD
    M-COR-1
    M-COR-3
    M-COR-D
    MTINT-1
    MTINT-3
    MTINT-D
    MTOFF00
    MTOFQ-0
    S-CONT2
    S-CONT3
    S-CONTD
    S-CLR-2
    S-CLR-3
    S-CLR-D
    STINT-2
    STINT-3
    STINT-D
    STOFF00
    STOFQ-0
    Y-DL1-4
    Y-DL1-D
    Y-DL2-0
    YBLACK4
    YBLACKD
    BBLACK4
    BBLACKD
    RBLACK4
    RBLACKD
    AFCRAN4
    AFCRAND
    F-DET4
    HSEPL-4
    HSEPL-5
    HSEPL-6
    HSEPL-C
    VSEPL-4
    VSEPL-5
    VSEPL-6
    VSEPL-C
    DSEPL-A
    DSEPL-C
    AFCMD-L
    AFCMD-3
    AFCMD-D
    VMODE-4
    VMODE-5
    48ISEP4
    BANDW-4
    BANDW-5
    HDPOSI4
    HDPOSI5
    HDPOSI6
    HDPOSI7
    HDPOSIK

6. Michael TLV

Michael Chen

YOu said the color temp stuff was separate ... it is not. It's all in the SM as I noted above. You can do standard ... med and cool directly here. Obviously you have to have selected that in the user menu to see a change.

There are even more tweaks that you can do here than I have mentioned. You will have to get a full service calibrator to apply those and the stuff above in confidence. (Or research it and figure it out yourself.)

Regards

7. Skripo

Skripo Auditioning

I appreciate your help very, very much, thank you!

8. Skripo

Skripo Auditioning

Just a couple more questions:

When we tried to adjust SUB-BRT ... brightness master control, it seemed to have a differnt type of effect than the user brightness control. Is this possible?

Are these the equivalent of the the Cool, Standard, and Warm? I guess we leave these as is right?

And just to be crystal clear, which ones should we use to adjust the colors, these ones?

COLOR-4 ... here are the color ones ... depends on the signal type ... 480i or p or 1080i or Ant.
    COLOR-F ... ditto
    COLOR-G ... ditto

If I understand properly, each one of these 3 settings will retain a different value for each scan rate so we need to balance in each scan rate right? Do we really need to do the interlace and progressive mode of each scan rate or do we only need to change between 480, 720, 1080 etc? How do I insure that I am in the right color temp mode when setting these or is there 3 seperate settings, 1 set for ech mode?

Thanks again!

9. Skripo

Skripo Auditioning

And yet another query. Is there any place that I can get a listing of each paramater and what it does?

I really want my ISF guy to tune my set properly.

10. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

No ... there is no place to find a definition of this stuff except in my mind and the minds of good calibrators/tweakers and the engineers at Hitachi.

Pick your color temp before you enter the service menu. Once in there ... you can't change temp or input signal types really.

Sub Brt has more range than the user control ... that is normal.

If you want warm to be the "correct" grayscale ... then you work on the warm parameters for grayscale.

Regards

11. Skripo

Skripo Auditioning

Now I am totally confused. Is there any chance my ISF guy can give you a call? He is here now and the Color Facts is hooked up. Can you PM me your number?

I COMPLETELY understand if you don't want to, just desperate to get this done properly, we are going nuts.