What's new

ISF Calibration - why does it void the warranty (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
What physically occurs during an ISF calibration that could void the warranty ? Is there any "physical evidence" left behind from the tweaking that leads a subsequent repair tech to determine a set's been calibrated ?

Thanks

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
It depends on what you want done.
Physical evidence ...
Duvetyne glued all over
Lens Hood ...
SVM disconnected ... can be explained away.
Lens Striping ... can be removed and redone if needed.
Too well converged ...
Too Little Overscan ...
Both are also signs of tampering ...
Looks too good ... :)
Many things can be explained away as something the dealer provided ... and dealers do provide some of these services too.
Regards

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi there,

* cup imprints on the screen
* IR receiver relocated
* interior repainted (black)
* washers under lens mounts (Scheimpfluge)

Most techs unless calibrators themselves won't notice though... unless of course you volunteer it.

Thanks,
Errol

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Thanks guys - I thought it was because you had a habit of leaving Corona bottle caps strewn about the interior, or perhaps writing smilie faces on the "Warrany void if seal is broken" labels...

Will an ISF Cal have a dramatic effect on standard NTSC viewing ? I'm considering a Mits RPTV, but am hesitant due to comments on the inferior line doubler. Since cable is the dominant viewing in my household for now, this is a concern.

Thanks !

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Answer ... it depends on how bad your set is OOTB. Nobody can answer that for you over the phone.

We have to be able to see the condition of your TV to make any kind of blanket statement like that.

It is like asking us for directions to NYC, except that you cannot tell us where you are starting from. Jersey or Japan ...

However ... !! While we can never promise anything, in most cases, the client has been able to see some measure of improvement in their cable / satellite. Garbage in, garbage out.

Regards

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Thanks Michael- it was a pretty dopey inquiry.... Next time I'll try to be a little more vague ;) But hey, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask !!!
Thanks for everyone's help ! If I can ever feel comfortable with this DVI debate, I'll actually purchase a d-mn RPTV and leave everyone alone !

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I had my Mits 46807 ISF'd by Gregg Loewen back in February and cannot recommend it (or Gregg) enough. He did an outstanding job and my Mits picture looks absolutely gorgeous.
If I needed any repair work done it would be very easy to change a few things back and no repair man would be the wiser.
Peace Out~:D

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John,
Go here for more info on what it is about, how much, recommended calibrators, tours, etc.
Thanks,
Errol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks