1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

ISF Calibration? In Buffalo, Erie, and Pittsburg areas August 23-27

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Loewen, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    HI!
    I am in Las Vegas right now and have had 3 out of 5 of my bookings cancel [​IMG]. Anyways, Ill be in Buffalo / Erie / Pittsburg areas next weekend and 1 of the 4 persons may be having to cancel there too. I can currently accomodate 2 more calibrations and perhaps a 3rd if the cancellation happens. Please send me an email ASAP if interested.
    Thanks
    Gregg

2. PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist Supporting Actor

Well, I wasn't one of the ones that cancelled on Gregg, and I can't thank him enough for the work on my Sony 57HW40. Man oh man what an improvement (basic cable even looks better, go figure). He did both the DVD input and the HDTV input. If you are considering having Gregg come out, make it a yes and spend the bread, you won't be sorry. Public gushing is now done!

Pat

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Pat- I'll add my "public gushing" to yours. I only have a Sony 32" direct view set, which Greg calibrated several months ago now, and I still can't believe the difference it has made. My pre-calibration color temperatures weren't even close to the 6500K standard. At some IRE levels, it was as much as 13500K or higher; it was even off the scale at a lower IRE level. Red push was atrocious; people often looked badly sunburned, and nearly everybody had red or reddish brown hair. Needless to say, I was not happy with the way my set looked.

Well, along comes Greg, and suddenly everything is as it should be. When he finished his calibration, my TV was no more than maybe a couple hundred degrees K off from the 6500K standard. Red push is gone; skin color and hair colors are normal. I still can't believe how much more enjoyable it is to watch my Sony now than it was before.

Before I had my calibration done, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile, despite everything I had read here at HTF. After all, most of the gushing comments came from people with projection sets, so I was concerned how much benefit could be derived with a direct view set. Needless to say, my concerns were groundless.

Greg, it's been a few months, but thanks again for your great results!

Steve K.

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Just curious. How much does it cost to have the work done?? I live in central NJ.

5. TimothyB

TimothyB Extra

6. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I still waiting for the day that he comes to Ohio.

7. William Laughner

William Laughner Stunt Coordinator

I will second that LaMarcus...My 57HW40 is in desperate need of a calibration.

8. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Lamarcus, William, start a seperate Ohio thread, 2 of you already, only 2 more to go!! I wonder if Vince is still interested? Remember that I dont mind doing some driving either (radius of approx 150 miles) so that may help.

Regards

Gregg

9. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Man.....I already had my feelings hurt trying to schedule a tour here. I don't think I can put myself through that disappointment again.

10. William Laughner

William Laughner Stunt Coordinator

I should be closing on a house in about a month and once I get out of this apartment and settled in my new house I will MOST DEFINITELY start an Ohio Calibration thread. I just doin't want to get my set calibrated now and then have move it.

11. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I'll keep my eyes open.

12. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

LaMarcus & Gregg,

I'm just 12 miles south of Cincinnati, only about one hour from Dayton, so I'd be interested in a tour also.

Gregg - Have you had success with the Panasonic PT-56WXF95?

13. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Yes, Ive done a lot of Pannys.