ISF Calibration - How Much $ ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Collins, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Christopher Collins

I have had my set for about a year now and I use the avia disk every 3 months or so to make sure that I keep my video quality up to par. I have the pioneer 53inch HDTV. My dvd player is a bit outdated SonyS330. Im going to be upgrading the dvd player soon to a panisonic rp91N or denon.

I want to get the best performance possible and have heard about getting my set ISF calibrated. I have also heard that waiting 6 months to a year is best so the set is "broken in" and the picture is stable.

How much should I expect to pay for a professional calibration and is it worth it? Should I even bother?

Thanks for taking time to answer...

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

although i've never have it done to my sets, from what i hear and read it's usually a pretty significant improvement.
    ron epstein recently had his tv calibrated. read about it here
    anyway, i think it'll probably cost you approximately 400.00 or so...

3. Mike_Thorn

Mike_Thorn Auditioning

Had my 40x81 ISF cal. for $300 and it was well worth it. Much sharper, clean pic and he even helped me remove my protective glare cover and few other extras. Was here for about 3 hrs working on all of the bells and whistles.

4. Christopher Collins

Thanks for the information. I managed to search the forums and find a little more info and some of the journals from the calibration tours. I cant wait to take the plunge as it does sound to be well worth it. Im sure my eyes will thank me.

Thanks Again !!

5. Andre Espinoza

Andre Espinoza Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I too have a Pioneer 53 RPT (SD532HD5) and was looking for an ISF tech to calibrate my set. Would anyone care to point me in the right direction or if you have personal refernces that would be fantastic!

I'm in the L.A. area.

I just purchased the Panny HD/DirecTV receiver and elliptical dish (to go along with my Sony SAT-T60)as a present for moving into a new house so I wanted to get all of my equipment working to its potential.

Thanks!

6. Christopher Collins

I went to the ISF website and found someone in my area. The first place that I called was not very reassuring. They did not really explain what would be included in the service. When I asked questions the guy said they were trained and that they set may only need a simple calibtation. He didnt like to give quotes over the phone and just said this was due to any number of things. I didnt want to put all my eggs in one basket so I called another number.
    They were very nice on the phone and the lady explained that they do a complete service on the RPTV. She explained that the tech would get into the system to do foccus and some basic checks. That he would make sure the geometry was correct, and he would use the ISF Optical Comparator and/or Color Analyzer to get everything into line. She explained that the service would last anywhere from 2 - 4 hours and that the normal fee was about $375. She also asked for the model number of my set so that if they needed to, the tech would have access to the service manual. When I said it was a Pioneer she even mentioned that the tech had previous experience on those sets. Ding Ding, we have a winner! She is either one heck of a sales woman, or this is a great place. Im leaning towards the later.
    Im slated in for the middle of next week! I cant wait! I will report back on how it goes!
    Andre, you can search for dealers in your area which will do the ISF Calibration here
    http://www.imagingscience.com/isf-trained.cfm
    Call around and ask questions!

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i will be very curious as to how your results go christopher. would you mind posting your results? i always like to hear how "real world" tweaking goes...

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

You kind of need to be careful- as ISF service can be a really minimal adjustment- depending on the tech. There are a set of basic rules for what an ISF calibration is about-- and some places offer only these basic services in their $400 cost- while others offer a full meal deal.
    Usually your best bet is to watch this forum or AVS (www.avsforum.com) for one of the more acclaimed Techs to do a tour, or try to organize one for your area. With these guys you'll know exactly what you'll get, and you can read the experiences of others.
    Calling local sometime works out great- but I know I've dealt with 2 of the ISF people here in NE Ohio- and the service they offered for $400-$500 was peanuts compared with the full service setup you'd get from some of the better touring techs.
    This shouldn't be read as a badmouth on ISF-- they set very strict rules for what a service must include-- but some other guys (ahem, Michael Chen, ahem) just go waaaaaay beyond the call of duty.
    I would suggest anyone interested in the services, please read this thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=26726
    Joe Kane the main guy behind ISF (and Video Essentials), Guy Kuo (the guy behind Avia) and many top techs (Jim Burns, Michael Chen, Joel Silver) took part in this discussion which might help explain what ISF service is, and is not-- it's a long read, but seriously worth it-- so grab a cup of coffee and start reading!
    -V

9. Andre Espinoza

Andre Espinoza Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Chris and to everyone that replied. I'm in contact with Bob from SF and may be setting something up to bring him to Los Angeles. If anyone else is interested please email me. Thanks again.

10. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

dues this void the warentee on the set and a extended one too? and do the isf come with a warentee?