What's new

ISF calibration for Sony 1272Q? (1 Viewer)

John Gates

Second Unit
Hi everyone,

In your opinion, does a professional ISF calibration do much good on a Sony 1272Q CRT projector? I have done basic focus and calibration myself, and the picture looks very good, but how much better can it be? Are there secret and arcane things an ISF tech can do that will vastly improve things?

I'd also like to have the lenses cleaned, but I'm concerned about doing this myself.

Lastly, I'm using an HTPC with I believe a Radeon 7200 video card.

Where is the most bang per buck to improve my video performance? What kinds of improvements could I expect to notice for investment?

Thanks!

John G

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
John,

An ISF Calibration will show noticeable impovement on your projector. Basically, there are still things such as grayscale that need special equipment ot get right. Without a correct grayscale the colorimetry of your projector will not be accurate.

I would look for an ISF Calibrator who has experience with the Sony Chassis you own. They will be able to tweak in focus, clean the lenses, perform lens angle, astigmatism, etc...to get the best possible picture.

Bang for the buck....hmmm...this is a tough one, it seems you have a scalar. Without evaluating your system I do not believe that I can recommend the best for the buck improvement at this time. ISF Calibration may be your best choice here.

Regards.

David Abrams
ISF Calibrationist

John Gates

Second Unit
Thank you, David.

Anyone know of a good ISF tech in the Alabama area? Maybe in Atlanta? Atlanta is 2 hours away...

What is the typical charge for all the stuff you mentioned, David?

Thanks,

John G

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I have the same TV, there is a modification you can do to the TV that is completely reversible that will improve your focus tremendously. But if you are afraid to remove your lenses to clean them then I don't know if you will want to do the modification.

For the modification that I am speaking of see http://www.mooneyass.com/Sony1270Q/index.html and go to the setup manual .pdf file at the top of the page. The modification is the "goggle flappers"

What I consider required reading for all CRT PJ owners http://www.monroe.net/~alyle/FocusManual.pdf

I can't comment on the ISF stuff. But I am currently trying to schedule something with William Phelps to setup my grayscale.

Lots of CRT pros hang out over at AVS so you may want to ask over there as well. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Are you floor or ceiling mounted? What kind of screen are you using?

If you have any questions let me know, I have my 1272 pretty well dialed in and am comfortable with most of the adjustments.

John Gates

Second Unit
Thanks, Chris!

I took a quick look at the mod you suggested, and I'm afraid that kind of tinkering is beyond my patience or available time. :-(

Maybe someday!

My reluctance in cleaning the lenses stems from some reading on AVS that suggested that certain cleaning solutions will dissolve a protective optical coating on the lens. I decided at that point that I would probably just wait to have them cleaned when I have the thing professionally calibrated.

Right now, the pic is pretty darn good, but I am hoping for better. AFter reading that manual on the website you pointed to, I am certain now there is a LOT of possibility if I can find someone who is very familiar with the 1272Q. Should be do-able since it is such a popular CRT.

I'm using a 7' wide Da-Lite B (pretty old, was used when I bought it, but I only paid $50, so I'm not complaining). I'll be upgrading the screen at some point, but I just can't believe how expensive screens are!

John G

John Gates

Second Unit
So how can I locate a competent, brilliant ISF tech near me? Anyone out there in Atlanta, Chattanooga, Birmingham?

John G

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks