What's new

ISF Calibration and Warranty (1 Viewer)

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
Does ISF calibration void the warranty on a RPTV? I suppose you don't have to tell the RPTV manufacturer that it was worked on, but what about moving the Protective "glare" screen to the back of the screen layer, do I have to replace it when they come to work on it for warranty work?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Ken,
It depends on the set. Which do you own? Mits does not like ISF period. Toshiba, Hits, and Panny are very ISF friendly. However, your local service tech might not have heard of ISF and might be very quick to point blame and run away.

Regards

Gregg

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Dealers are known to remove the glare screen off RPTV's. It's a non-issue. Anyone asks ... just say you don't know or that the dealer did it ... because they will if asked.

In cases that I have encountered, the warranty has never been voided, but revealing that you had an ISF done will create one massive headache for you. Many months of bickering with the manufacturer is what you are asking for.

In the end, you will almost always win and the warranty work will go forward ... now ask youself if you need this type of headache ... when simply not mentioning it would have been the better route.

Same for all.

ISF work is not invasive ... and normally you simply cannot physically tell that anything has been done. Now gluing fabric lining on the inside of the TV is another matter.

Regards

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
Greg, I have a Toshiba 50H82, so I guess I'll be ok with the warranty when you calibrate my TV in March of next year ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks