ISF Calibration and Warranty

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Custodio, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Does ISF calibration void the warranty on a RPTV? I suppose you don't have to tell the RPTV manufacturer that it was worked on, but what about moving the Protective "glare" screen to the back of the screen layer, do I have to replace it when they come to work on it for warranty work?

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Ken,
    It depends on the set. Which do you own? Mits does not like ISF period. Toshiba, Hits, and Panny are very ISF friendly. However, your local service tech might not have heard of ISF and might be very quick to point blame and run away.

Regards

Gregg

3. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

How does Sony feel about ISF?

Me

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Dealers are known to remove the glare screen off RPTV's. It's a non-issue. Anyone asks ... just say you don't know or that the dealer did it ... because they will if asked.

In cases that I have encountered, the warranty has never been voided, but revealing that you had an ISF done will create one massive headache for you. Many months of bickering with the manufacturer is what you are asking for.

In the end, you will almost always win and the warranty work will go forward ... now ask youself if you need this type of headache ... when simply not mentioning it would have been the better route.

Same for all.

ISF work is not invasive ... and normally you simply cannot physically tell that anything has been done. Now gluing fabric lining on the inside of the TV is another matter.

Regards

5. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Greg, I have a Toshiba 50H82, so I guess I'll be ok with the warranty when you calibrate my TV in March of next year [​IMG]