ISF Calibration. $250, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ArnaudP, Nov 19, 2001.

1. ArnaudP

ArnaudP Stunt Coordinator

I am going to be geting an HDTV set ( Panasonic 47WX51 most likely) and I was wondering if I should spend an extra $250 to get the ISF calibration? I read in this month's issue of Perfect Vision that it should be calibrated by an ISF certified technician but I would like to hear from HT members.
    Thank you[​IMG]

2. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

I think it would be well worth it. You might want to look more into what is included for the $250. There are several different "levels" of calibration. If you do a search for ISF or calibration if the TV and projectors forum you can find out more.

Everyone that has there set calibrated says it is well worth it. I plan to have mine done once I move into my new house and my TV gets some more hours on it.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    $250 is a bargain depending on what you want done (and how qualified they are).
    Please read the ISF thread in the Hardware Archieves. This will tell you my thoughts on ISF [​IMG]
    Gregg

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Depends on who it is.

On that set even if they only disabled SVM and did your grayscale, and user controls I would say $250 is well worth it (and that all the above adjustments are absolutely necessary)

5. Matt Goddard

Matt Goddard Stunt Coordinator

I'm no expert on ISF stuff, but it's my understanding that you'll want to break in the TV for a couple of weeks before you have an ISF tech calibrate it, so don't do it right away.

6. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Arnaud,

The basic cal is similar to getting an oil change/tune up for your set. The car will run fine without it but it will run much better if you get it.

I've had my set calibrated by one of the best in the industry, Michael TLV, and the set looks mucho better. Note that my was tuned .... and "supercharged" with other TLV-unique tweaks.

More info on ISF, why do it, what's included, pricing, etc. at my site including the link to THE best ISF thread ever! Michael and Gregg chime in in that thread.

Thanks,

Errol

7. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

$250 seems a bit low. If the tech is going to give you the full service (and he's a capable tech), then $250 is a great bargain. I know the tech around here charges $600-700 for a full calibration, that's why a $250 price seems low. Otherwise, go for it. It truly is the best thing you can do for your HDTV.

Bruce

8. Kevin N

Kevin N Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely. I had my Mits 55857 calibrated back in September by Steve Martin in Dallas and it's absolutely amazing. On my set I had mechanical and electrostatic focus, color temperature, geometry w/grid, duvatyne lining, red push fixed, and IRIS programmed to actually do something among other improvements. The picture between my RP91 and Mits is better than any theater I've been to in Dallas short of the DLP system at Cinemark. Great stuff and necessary to really get the best out of your TV.

9. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I think they're well worth it, but manufactures have caught up with people doing these things and are quick to use this as tampering with the unit and may void the warranty. If you ever need it serviced under warranty you might run into problems.

10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Depending of course on your set, a good ISF'er can get in and out of there without leaving too much of a trace. [​IMG]
    I had to have my set worked on by a "factory qualified tech" earlier this year to replace the A board. The guy didn't have extensive knowledge of the set or settings because these places that outsource the labor for TV repairs deal with so many makes and models over many, many years. I doubt if this guy were to come back after Michael TLV's calibration job, that he'd notice anyone had messed with the set...other than that the picture looked SUPERB! [​IMG]