What's new

ISF and 4:3 sets: Is it done? (1 Viewer)

EdAngell

Stunt Coordinator
Gregg, I moved the discussion here because I didn't want to take away from the intent of your other thread.

I've been reading other people's reactions to their calibrated sets and knowing that I want mine to give me the best picture it's capable of giving me, but I also notice that everybody else's set is 16:9.

I didn't want to come off as an idiot for even considering a calibration for a 4:3 set. I know my picture could be better. I've tried some of the adjustments with Avia, and it looked better than when it came out of the box, but I know there is a lot more that needs to be done to it...even in convergence/geometry.

Maybe I should ask it this way: do you or have you calibrated 4:3 sets?

Does anyone else want to chime in with a response?

Thanks.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
My 27" JVC 4x3 Tv is in need of calibration, overscan, geometry, greyscale, etc etc etc

I just can't fathom paying for an ISF calibration that wuld likely cost more than the TV itself.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys!

Ed, ISF calibrators tweak out 4x3 sets all the time. Many of the new 4x3 sets have squeeze modes to give anamorphic DVD viewing. Other sets have 1080i squeeze modes too. They all tweak out essentially the same way.

On cheaper sets (like Garrett's JVC) it is the consumer that decides whether or not they want to spend the money (I charge $225 plus $50 travel if not in New England for this one). One of the reasons the sets are so cheap is that they are not setup correctly...you pay up front or you pay later.

I hope this helped??

Gregg

Page

Stunt Coordinator
In January of this year, Gregg did an excellent job calibrating my 61 inch RPTV that is a 4:3 set which also has a 16:9 "squeeze" mode. He fixed the geometry and convergence in both modes and the I'm very satisfied with the results. I watch a lot of older 4:3 material along with newer movies that are just coming out, so for me, it was money well spent because now I'm getting the best of both.

EdAngell

Stunt Coordinator
This certainly helped. My 53" Toshiba has the 16:9 squeeze mode which I use when I watch DVD's. I'm going to make up my mind this weekend whether I'm upgrading the set or not, but either way, I'll be in touch for a calibration of one set or the other.

Thanks again for all the opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks