What's new

Iseley Bros. 3x3 SACD $9.99 at Tower (1 Viewer)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
I live in L'ville NJ too. I worked over at Best Buy for a little bit and now I'm looking for a job at Circuit City. (I'm only 17) There is a store on Quakerbridge road (by the Hamilton Fitness Center) called Sound Automotive. Obviously, they specialize in high end car audio. But, they feature some home audio. (Anthem, Monitor, Triad) They also have a very nice HT setup that you can try out.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I know that area very well and was just up there on Friday night. If you are interested in working in a record store or audio store, you have quite a number of choices on Route 1 in Lawrenceville/West Windsor/Princeton. You have Tweeter, Best Buy, Circuit City, The Wiz, Compact Disc World, Barnes and Noble, and Borders. I assume Quaker Bridge Mall has at least one record store as well. The only thing, and no offense intended, is that Tweeter might have an age requirement for its sales staff. I'm just speculating on that.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jason, perhaps you should put in an application with Tweeter next March 28th. ;)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
haha maybe I should. But, I'm not sure if I'm a good enough salesmen to work in such a comission driven job. I'd be the guy that'd tell someone to buy soundking 12g instead of Monster Z series. Oh sir, you may want to try out these Boston CR8's before I ring you up for those Bose 701's. ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I hear you. I could not work at Best Buy, Circuit City, or even Tweeter. There is just no way I could lie to consumers and recommend that they buy garbage instead of something better, even if selling the garbage meant a larger commission. I could see working at a high-end store where everything is good, however. :)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
That's the good and bad part about Best Buy. They are completely non-commission. Although the employees may push the warranty on you as they are supposed to. A lot of the time they'll recommend what they think is good and not what costs a lot. Of course, they also can care less about you because they gain nothing from your purchase whatsoever.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I certainly feel better as a consumer shopping at stores that I know do not give commissions. If I were on the selling end, sure it would be great to get a commission, but I still could not see taking advantage of customers just to make a higher commission. In the end, I might enjoy working at Best Buy or another non-commission store since the pressure would be lessened. The job might be more fun. The problem with Best Buy for me as an audio enthusiast is that they don't have merchandise that I would enjoy selling.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
Hey, I just went over to Best Buy today to talk to the manager and it seems like I might get the job there anyways. ;) Can't wait to get my discount back!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Great news, Jason. Does that discount apply to music too? I'd love a discount on CDs and SACDs. How much of a discount is it? 10%?

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
It actually depends on the item. On things such as accessories, car audio, and home audio we get quite a bit off (35-70%). We also get a fair amount off of projection tvs (25%?). As for CDs, DVDs, SACDs, and DVD-A.....it can vary a good amount. Sometimes you'll get $7 bucks off of $20. Sometimes you'll get $1.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Heya Jason,

Lemme know where you end up working and I will arrange to come visit ya.....I will be in West Windsor Best Buy quite often once I am permanently there next month.

Eric

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eric, we should still plan a meet and greet too. I get to the West Windsor Best Buy and Compact Disc World quite a bit since my girlfriend lives in the area.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Keith,
Most definitely.....things right now are so hectic...but the house is getting closer day by day.....we are thinking that we will be in there by July.....We'll run by Best Buy and buuuggg Jason for his employee discount!! :b :D
Eric.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eric,
I understand that you are busy, as I was in a similar position about a year ago. Last April, I changed jobs and moved from New Jersey to Delaware. I owned a condo in Jersey and moved into company-paid temporary housing in Delaware while the condo was on the market. So, 95% of my belongings, including all of my audio and home-theater gear, was back in Jersey while I was starting the new job. It was hectic starting the new job and trying to sell one place and buy another at the same time. It all worked out in the end as I was able to sell the place in Jersey and move into the new place in Delaware long before my 90 days in temporary housing was up.
You said:
We'll run by Best Buy and buuuggg Jason for his employee discount!!
Absolutely! Jason, are you paying attention? :D

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
Hey sorry guys I forgot about this thread because I don't frequent the music forum.

I still don't have a position there yet but the manager is working on it (or so he says...). I'm just glad school (and finals) are over with. Only one more year left. Just a random question.....Since I'm so hooked on home audio and such, what would be a major in college that I should take a look at? I'm planning on being an electrical engineer, but I do have a whole year of High School left to fumble around with plans for college.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
Wow, you guys have great Home Theaters. Hey Eric, you seem to be a klipsch fan. Want to know something funny? My public high school (lawrence high) has a pair of Klipsch RF-3's in the music room.....I think that's the right model #?....I know they are reference series bookshelves. They also have them being powered by a Technics Stereo receiver. I was so surpirised when I spotted them.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I am not the expert here, but electrical engineering would probably be a good way to break into the audio field as a profession. However, it depends on what angle you want to pursue in the field. Certainly an E.E. degree would be the way to go if you want to design components (maybe there are other degrees to pursue as well). However, I don't know if one can major in recording or producing, meaning the studio angle of audio. I'm sure others here can shed some light.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks